Necchi BU Mira

Old 09-14-2014, 11:27 PM

Default Necchi BU Mira

I just wanted to share my exciting news!! A few months ago I found an ad on Craigslist for a free sewing machine in the cabinet. I saw a picture of the cabinet and knew it was vintage, but that's about all the info I had. I really wanted a vintage machine though because I want to try sewing my own jeans, I was sure if it was working that it could handle what I wanted.

The machine was purchased by the woman's grandmother in 1954 (I believe, it's written down!) and has been used until about 10 years ago. I was so honored they gave it to me and I wanted to try it out right away, but it was the end of the school year for the kids and life was hectic, and then summer came and the chaos continued. Last night I ran across something about Necchi's and I thought, wait, my machine is a Necchi! Hubby got it set up in my sewing room tonight, but we haven't cleaned it or oiled it yet. It also needs to be rewired right away as the cord is in terrible shape. But aside from that it appears to be in great shape and was well taken care of. I'll have to wait to find out if it's working. Although right now the needle wont lift up, hoping that's just an oil issue???

Here's some pics!! I was amazed by all the attachments!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 09-15-2014, 06:14 AM

Very, Very nice Megan. Start with sewing machine oil, lot's of it. Necchi machines do not LIKE to be dry.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:15 AM

WOW!!!!!

Joe
Old 09-15-2014, 06:30 AM

Beautiful machine and cabinet.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:34 AM

Wow! Awesome get for free! That is in excellent shape and it has the wonder wheel. I had to ask the first time I saw one.
Sewing machine oil is your friend. Necchis seem to have a reputation for sticking from dried oil due to the tight tolerances.
Rodney
Old 09-15-2014, 06:52 AM

Love it!! Congratulations on your beautiful free machine -- can't beat that price. And so complete, too. AND in great condition.

The Necchi company recommended 90% kerosene and 10% sewing machine oil solution for getting rid of gunk and dried oil between moving parts. This is what I use on all my machines that are either frozen or moving really slowly due to old oil.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:14 AM

Thanks! I'm disappointed in myself that I didn't set it up and start using it sooner. Also I don't know what it's called, but instead of a pedal you push a lever with your knee. I thought that was awesome, especially since I've been sewing more than normal I realized that my sciatic nerve is kicking in and it's probably from using the pedal.

Should we open it and clean it first or get some oil on it first? Does it matter?

Thanks!!
Old 09-15-2014, 08:18 AM

Clean what you can then oil otherwise the oil mixes with any dust and lint and it's harder to get out.
Rodney
Old 09-15-2014, 10:04 AM
Banned

Excellent find. You're very lucky to have a complete wonder wheel set up, very often the rods are missing and it's useless without them.
You should join the vintage Necchi Yahoo group. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...chineclub/info
The files and messages will answer all your questions. There is a great file on cleaning/unfreezing machines. Necchis have such tight tolerances that it doesn't take much to freeze one up. I use the basic principles to clean all my vintage machines.

Cari
Old 09-15-2014, 11:49 AM

Wow, Megan, what a beautiful machine. You got quite the deal. Enjoy!