Need help with a singer.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:35 AM

Default Need help with a singer.

I know she is a 1931.. What I need is she a 66 or 99? She is new out of the shed thanks to DD. I also need to know what to use on the rust. Where can I get missing parts?
Attached Thumbnails cimg5808.jpg  
Old 03-18-2012, 10:21 AM

It's a 66, what dash # I can't tell.

What parts are missing?

Joe
Old 03-18-2012, 12:38 PM
Power Poster

looks like you need a tension and a needle plate and a slide plate and a spool holder... and that may just be for starters. see if Cathy has anything or sew-classic. It might cost as much in parts as to go buy another one just like it and not have to work on it... It still has good bones though.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:28 PM

Naw, no need to part the old machine out. The needle plate is rounded thing at the bottom of the picture. If the slide plate is missing Sew-Classic has those. I've seen tensioner assemblies too but can't remember where. My local guy has them as bits and pieces for reasonable prices, so I'd start there for everything.

I've rescued machines (Singer 66s to be exact) from the inglorious death of being parted out only to find they sew like champs.

Joe
Old 03-18-2012, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

Joe, it could well be rescued, however, it could cost quite a bit unless you already have a parts machine or source for parts and it would be some work to get everything put together. Once put together it might run like a brand new machine though. For about $40 you can get one that is all there on CL if you aren't in any hurry - I know some people want more than that but unless it has the back tack I doubt if it would go for more.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:44 PM

I understand that.

What I don't understand is why people consider spending a few dollars to fix an other wise good machine to be such a bad thing. Money isn't everything.

Destroying one machine to fix another one that could be fixed simply by dropping some cash and buying some replacement parts is in my way of thinking wrong. There are times that a machine is just simply too far gone, use what you can, but in the last few months I've seen perfectly good machines destroyed simply because their decals weren't in good shape or they needed a hard to find part. This isn't a recent thing for me, I feel the same about cars, trucks, guns, fountain pens, and just about anything.
This mentality comes from collectors. Take the best parts from useable (insert item here _______________ ) put them on one that's shinier and charge more money for it. I find it sickening.

I won't rant any more about it here, I mean nothing personal by my comments, but I am not a collector and that's the way I feel.

Joe
Old 03-18-2012, 03:16 PM
Power Poster

Ok. calm down, Joe

http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/singer..._id=2593288844
Singer slide plates cost $6.50 to 11.99 plus postage

http://shop.sew-classic.com/Needle-P...2-SCP32602.htm
Throat plate 9.99 plus postage

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tension-Disc...item58919f2525 Singer tension $16.99 plus postage

It still needs a spool holder a new bobbin winder and a belt most likely AND you are already up to $40 with postage. Maybe you have a cheaper source. Most likely the parts you would buy on Ebay or from your local sewing machine repairman are already 'harvested' from a parts machine from somewhere. Then if you figure labor, you have spent quite a bit of money. On the other hand. When it is fixed up, it will be like a new machine again. You really can't kill those beauties. Think about how much one of those machine would cost new in today's dollars. Nothing NEW sews like those do - nothing. They will be around longer than the junk you buy at Walmart. I do see your point, Joe. When ever possible I buy the parts and do the repairs - but take a hard look. Also, look around, you might find the parts a whole lot less. We can help you find manuals with directions to fix that machine. If you can read directions you can do this.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:42 PM
Power Poster

It may be possible that someone on QB would have parts if you ask around.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:15 PM

miriam,

Joe is quite calm, his stomach however is not, for what ever it's reason.

Anyway, as I said I meant nothing personal about what I said, I just have strong feelings about parting out a good machine.

Now, if my photobucket links hadn't been rearranged I could point you to a story I wrote about refurbishing a naked 99K.
I'll see if I can find it, fix it and post it here.
The entire machine consisted of the machine head, mostly complete. No motor, no belt, no case, no spool peg, no presser foot, some missing screws .
So ..... part it out? Nope, I refurbished it. I have no idea of what it cost to do it as I didn't keep track. The little machine is a sweet sewing machine.

And it's not the only one.

To the original poster, I ask your forgiveness for hijacking your thread. As miriam said we'll help you find the parts you need and get her all fixed up if you choose to go that route.

Joe
Old 03-18-2012, 07:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I understand that.

What I don't understand is why people consider spending a few dollars to fix an other wise good machine to be such a bad thing. Money isn't everything.

Destroying one machine to fix another one that could be fixed simply by dropping some cash and buying some replacement parts is in my way of thinking wrong. There are times that a machine is just simply too far gone, use what you can, but in the last few months I've seen perfectly good machines destroyed simply because their decals weren't in good shape or they needed a hard to find part. This isn't a recent thing for me, I feel the same about cars, trucks, guns, fountain pens, and just about anything.
This mentality comes from collectors. Take the best parts from useable (insert item here _______________ ) put them on one that's shinier and charge more money for it. I find it sickening.

I won't rant any more about it here, I mean nothing personal by my comments, but I am not a collector and that's the way I feel.

Joe
I hear ya Joe...some folks just like doing the work. So now we know to send the machine to YOU...and buy one that needs no work...IF that is what we would rather do. I am in the fixer up corner myself!