Need info re Kenmore 158.9411

Old 06-13-2015, 05:23 PM

I have a Kenmore model #158.19141. I bought it new in 1976. (Even then it cost over $600!) Did you get any accessories with it, like the decorative cams? They had cams for all sorts of designs and 2 sizes of lettering. I sewed many an item on it and even taught my kids to sew on it. I hope you have success with the manual. I still refer to mine after all these years, although now I do ost of my sewing on my Babylock Esante BLS. My Babylock dealer said that my Kenmore was made by Singer, and yes, it does weigh a ton!
Old 06-13-2015, 07:22 PM

Pic looks same but my machine says 158.9411 -high shank feet. Figured it's about 1975-1980 manf time --just an interest to me. Some machines sit down into the cabinet but note these kind sit on top of the cabinet and are screwed on to be firm. A problem considering you have to take the bottom off to do all the oiling the manual lists.
There are about five screws to take bottom off but such well made machines.

Re: spring underneath --this is a U shaped spring . the bottom part of "U " is one piece but looks like 2 springs about 3 in long each. There is also a weird unusual shape metal piece that is behind the spring . There is a form that the 2 top wires of " U " may have to fasten . Sorry camera a problem . but sun I am going to work at getting a pic posted here if I can get it to pc. Have a manual on web now but nothing showing on it except how to remove machine for the lady that didn't know how to remove. I will never forget now.

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]522242[/ATTACH]I have a 158.19410. I think I bought mine in the early 80's.

I wonder if your button that can be switched from the red dot to the white dot has the handle broken off. Here is a picture of my machine. It needs to be oiled and cleaned because it hasn't been used since 2001 when I got my new Kenmore. I also have another Kenmore that was given to us as a wedding gift by my parents in 1973. I have tried getting it out of the cabinet also but gave up. I need to see if I can get that one cleaned/oiled also. I will check the spring mechanism on that for you. The cabinet sits at the end of my sewing desk and is used to hold my small design board and helps with the weight/clumsiness of bigger quilts.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:27 PM

I believe all of you have gone to great lengths to be helpful as I wouldn't have been this far without you .
Sorry I can't bake you all cookies or sew something for you but I sure am grateful if that means anything.

Would have pics now but Hubby broke down with motor cycle on a country road so I had to borrow trailer and go help him haul it home.
I will keep you informed.

Last edited by Mornigstar; 06-13-2015 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:54 AM

For those still following this post I am still working with it. Made long distance calls to Sears but the five 800 numbers that I called were not at all helpful. Then called a friend who owns a Kenmore --made more calls to Sears.

Then called a man in Zephyrhills area Fl who was Sears repair man because I can not get the needle to go to left and follow the zigzag pattern. Manual showed me what to do but it did not make a difference to stitching.
He told me to lift the pressure bar all the way up --well that at least allowed the black cam circle inside the top to move the peg one level down but it still needs to go further down to other patterns. Have to get my life back to normal so going to sew baby quilt now.
Still have pics of spring under cabinet to put in post.
Bill also said a Sears repair person up here in Ontario should be able to fix quickly or tell me what it needs.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:27 PM

Only thing new today --it was made in 1976. It is well oiled but I have to take bottom off again then keep those screws separate as they are different lengths --found out the hard way.
all help welcome !
Old 06-18-2015, 12:06 PM

Thank you for the information. You said that my machine will fit in a cabinet.
how do I find out what Kenmore 158.13450 sewing machine cabinet mine will fit in? I went to sears store and they didn't know. What cabinet do you have? I bought one today at yard sale today ..no machine just cabinet...didn't fit..nice cabinet. oh well I thought it would till I got it home and tried it.
thank you.

Last edited by Littledreamdevil; 06-18-2015 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:20 PM

HI everyone
Morningstar wanted me to let everyone know she is taking a few days off to do some thing with
her family. She hasn't gotten anything done more with her machine and she will be back in a few days.
Old 08-27-2020, 02:42 PM

Well it took from June 2015... until Aug 2020 for me to get back with info re this Kenmore ....it is really a 158-19411......all these yrs I ever knew I had missed the first “1”. Still don’t have machine working correctly. It took lots of oil but I did get it to sew straight / reverse too and I keep it up as second machine threaded with white.

Few months ago I decided since I finally got a manual bc of correct model number I would work at the other stitches. After much oiling with the top off I tried turning the dial. THEN IT BROKE.....so now I am inmore of a mess.
Have spent the afternoon looking for the photo I had taken for this forum ...found it and contacted many parts places.

No luck. I really need a repair person to take it apart to get to those disks that are stuck ...for yrs...so any dial could be turned. Now there is just a little metal circle piece showing will include photos if possible.
I was a daily reader for so many yrs. and learnt so much even meeting members.

If anyone has idea where to get a plastic dial please let me know. A pleasure to be here
Attached Thumbnails 946598e8-384a-4955-87ad-0e3bb30c3e80.jpeg  
Old 08-28-2020, 06:09 AM

I am a big fan of plastic epoxy. While you are looking for a replacement part you might want to try using epoxy on the old piece to put it back together, just follow the directions carefully in terms of preparing the surface, and let it cure as long as possible.
Old 09-04-2020, 11:18 AM

Wow if that is a 1941 it is a very desireable machine, free arm kenmore all metal super high shank, you have a winner. Lucky gal, it is most definitely a keeper. People don't get rid of all metal kenmore super high shank convertible free arms. Hold onto this one for sure. Reba