Needin help

Old 02-06-2013, 04:50 AM

Red face Needin help

I just got a Singer 99K. Does anyone have any idea where I can get a manual for it? Also the tension is not right, I think. It hums like crazy , works well and will stitch but none of the stitches hook onto one another. Did I explain that right? Oh well , if anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thanks
Old 02-06-2013, 06:21 AM

Manuals can be had here: { http://www.singerco.com/accessories/instruction-manuals }
Good help on the top and bottom tensions here: { http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...machine_manual }

Humming could well be the motor as well as the machine needing lubricated. Motor takes Singer Lube only, machine takes oil. Make sure the belt is not too tight.

Needle goes in FLAT to the RIGHT, and is threaded LEFT to RIGHT.
When you put in a filled bobbin and thread the case, hold it with the open side facing you and pull the thread. The bobbin should rotate clockwise.

The machine probably needs a thorough cleaning.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:12 PM

The 99 is the same as a 66 only 3/4 size. If you run across a 66 manual for download it will cover everything you need. It also takes the same size belt as a 66 - for future reference.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:50 PM

If you want an original manual, there are several on ebay right now.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:27 AM

I can't figure out how to make a new one of these threads; so someone please help me out on this one (J Miller, Archaic forgot the rest, Dan of NJ); I have my DH doing the actual work on replacing a bulb on a Singer 457; can't get it back in without affecting the needle position bar (where does that little spring thing fit)? And we don't have the book to refer to. Common sense is not working here, we both have plenty of that, but not in this case. Help.....Jo Ann
Old 02-09-2013, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by oldtnquiltinglady View Post
I can't figure out how to make a new one of these threads; so someone please help me out on this one (J Miller, Archaic forgot the rest, Dan of NJ); I have my DH doing the actual work on replacing a bulb on a Singer 457; can't get it back in without affecting the needle position bar (where does that little spring thing fit)? And we don't have the book to refer to. Common sense is not working here, we both have plenty of that, but not in this case. Help.....Jo Ann
Hey JoAnn

I'm at a loss as to how the light would be affecting needle bar in any way. You can find an Owner's manual here:
EDIT!: Argh! I just looked at that manual. It's for an industrial. Seriously! Why do companies use the same model numbers for domestic and inductrial machines!

If memory serves, the plastic grate moves to one side, and tilts downward. You reach in, push and turn the bult a 1/4 turn Counterclockwise, and then remove it. Installation is the reverse of disassembly. I will try to find you an owner's manual.

It will show how to change that bulb. If you were to attach a photo (best to start a new thread) We can take a look see at what's giving you grief.

Starting a new thread:
At the main page for the Vintage and Antique Machine Enthusiasts forum, here:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...thusiasts-f22/
Click on the "+Post New Thread" button and let us know what you need

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 02-09-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:37 PM

http://www.singerco.com/uploads/down...aab08a72c8.pdf

This one works. Page 58.