Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Needle "home" position is off-center >

Needle "home" position is off-center

Needle "home" position is off-center

Old 09-19-2021, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

Default Needle "home" position is off-center

I just bought a Kenmore 158.12111 sewing machine yesterday. I paid $15.00 - not thinking the lady would say "okay" for that price.

It seems to be running "fine" since I oiled it very thoroughly.

However - the "home" position is about 1/16 to 3/32 to the left of center. From the little bit that I have played with it, it seems to sew nicely. It went through four layers of denim without a hiccup and about eight layers of cotton sheeting.

So - does it really matter - other than being a bit annoying to me - that the home position is not centered.???

Can it be centered?

I do not think it is a left homing machine - because the zigzag goes beyond that point at its widest setting.
Old 09-19-2021, 12:43 PM

I don't know about that machine but, my Juki 2010q is off center also. It is a problem with this model. It sews perfectly fine, the only problem I have is occasionally the needle flexes when free motion quilting and breaks on the needle plate. As long as the needle is catching the bobbin thread. You should be good.
Old 09-20-2021, 11:12 AM

One of my machines is like that. I can't remember which one now, but it's been that way for ages and sews just fine so I don't worry about it.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:27 PM

The centering can be adjusted, how to go about it depends on the machine. My 158 series machine is out on loan right now so I can't check it, but I did just have a 152 series machine pretty well apart, and on it there was a horizontal bar running from the needle bar over the gears for the ZZ and other pattern discs, and there was a set screw holding that horizontal bar in a clamp and I loosened it and then moved the needle to where I wanted it and then tightened it back up.

If you adjust it check the ZZ at it's widest setting and test turning by hand, to make sure the needle doesn't hit the plate on one side or the other. Adjusting the stitch width is likely controlled by a small cam near the mechanism holding a pattern disc, at least it was on the 152.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:37 PM

A lot of Kenmores are "left homing." Meaning the needle doesn't center. I'm not sure on that particular model.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JoeJr View Post
The centering can be adjusted, how to go about it depends on the machine. My 158 series machine is out on loan right now so I can't check it, but I did just have a 152 series machine pretty well apart, and on it there was a horizontal bar running from the needle bar over the gears for the ZZ and other pattern discs, and there was a set screw holding that horizontal bar in a clamp and I loosened it and then moved the needle to where I wanted it and then tightened it back up.

If you adjust it check the ZZ at it's widest setting and test turning by hand, to make sure the needle doesn't hit the plate on one side or the other. Adjusting the stitch width is likely controlled by a small cam near the mechanism holding a pattern disc, at least it was on the 152.
Interesting - thank you for posting.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
A lot of Kenmores are "left homing." Meaning the needle doesn't center. I'm not sure on that particular model.
I had one of those once! Got rid of it!
Old 03-01-2022, 06:55 PM

There are YouTube videos that show how to center it.
Old 03-01-2022, 07:56 PM
Power Poster

I took it to Gratz Sewing and Dave fixed it just a few minutes. Don't know what he did, but he only charged $10.00 for the fix.