Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
New acquisitions just came home >

New acquisitions just came home

New acquisitions just came home

Old 11-10-2012, 06:36 PM

Default New acquisitions just came home

We took a trip south today to meet up with forum member Hedy and her husband Leroy. For the life of me I can't remember her forum name so I hope she forgives me.

She had picked up a box of Singer top hat cams for us in New Mexico on her last trip. A Singer 500 that was / is not in the best of condition came with the box of cams. We've been trying to finish our set of top hat cams buy getting a number "O" cam. Our 401 doesn't need it, but it finishes the set. The box of cams she got for us had a "0" cam. Now our set is complete.

We also picked up a Singer 185K the green one Serial # JD 751766. The owners manual was dated 1958 but I can't date it due to ISMACs not having a JD section in their charts. Can someone point me to a link that does have dates for the JD prefix serial numbers?
It's in pretty decent condition but will need some tinkering and TLC. The light fixture was pretty well burnt, someone had put a 40 W bulb in it. I put a 10W in and that fixed that. I'll have to work on the case and top and bottom tensions before we can use it. I won't have much cleaning to do though as it's really pretty clean.

The other machine we picked up is a Singer 127, Serial # G 7056708, 1 of 50,000 allotted 5-23-19. It has what's left of the Sphinx decals on it. It has a Chinese hand crank attached to it and just fascinated me. So it came home with us too. It's pretty dirty all the way through and my luck is holding strong, the tensions are out of whack too.

So even though I have no business bringing any more machines home I can't help myself. But I wasn't alone and my wife wanted the 185K so it's partially her fault.

I don't have any pics of them yet. That will have to come later. And I'll get some of the tensions for you Miriam.

Joe
Old 11-10-2012, 07:17 PM

http://www.singerco.com/support/mach.../double-letter
Old 11-10-2012, 07:33 PM

Joe,

I have some of those files on my computer from before Singer pulled the them.
The JA through the JE series were made in "Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu, Quebec, Canada".
The JD series was made in 1954.
These Charts for the Canadian machines do have the month or model number included.
This is pretty much what Tammi said.

Cathy

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
We took a trip south today to meet up with forum member Hedy and her husband Leroy. For the life of me I can't remember her forum name so I hope she forgives me.

We also picked up a Singer 185K the green one Serial # JD 751766. The owners manual was dated 1958 but I can't date it due to ISMACs not having a JD section in their charts. Can someone point me to a link that does have dates for the JD prefix serial numbers?
Joe
Old 11-10-2012, 08:32 PM

LOLOL! I went to pick up a couple of new ones today as well. A little Singer Spartan and a 1953 Bond that looks like a milkshake mixing machine. Well, while I was there, they just happened to mention that they were working on a pink Atlas. Now we all know that I've been wanting a pink machine for a while. They showed it to me and I fell in love, but right beside it was a gorgeous baby blue Free Westinghouse! I told them I'd take all 4 of the machines. DH is going to kill me, because he thinks I have too many anyway and getting 4 instead of 2, well.... They were still working on the pink one and the blue one, but said they would call as soon as they are finished. Can't wait! We really are bad, aren't we?????
Old 11-11-2012, 04:28 AM

Tammi, Cathy,
Thanks for the link and the DOM. It looks like a later owners manual got put with it then. But at least it has a manual .

Originally Posted by MimiBug123
<snip>We really are bad, aren't we?????
Sigh ..... I'm afraid so.

Joe
Old 11-11-2012, 06:38 PM

Not bad, just addicted to old sewing machine oil and its siren song.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:20 PM

Here are the pics of the three newcomers:

Singer 127 with Chinese hand crank:

Singer 185K with manual, button holler, and box of accessories:

Singer 500. It would probably sew if I plugged it in, but to replace the missing parts is going to cost a fortune:

Joe
Old 11-11-2012, 07:21 PM

Joe,
The Singers 403 and 503 need the "0" cam to do a basic zig zag as neither machine has a cam stack.
Sharon W.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:23 PM

Sharon,

Thanks. Now if I ever come across one without it's cam, I got one.

Joe
Old 11-11-2012, 09:42 PM

Don't ya just love the 185? It's so cute!

What parts do you need for the 500?