New Automatic

Old 01-21-2014, 12:57 PM

Default New Automatic

My nephew recently showed me a "New Automatic" with a serial no. of C336543 that he has. I know very little about treadle machines, but he is willing to give it to me. Yes, it needs much cleaning, etc. Any suggestions?
Thank you.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:03 PM
Banned

Hi JennieB: We do love pictures here... Allow me. here is a listing form a couple years ago for a "New Automatic" does yours look like this? http://www.instappraisal.com/apprais...sewing-machine

[ATTACH=CONFIG]457880[/ATTACH]

If so it looks like a Singer 128/127 clone (made using the expired Singer patents)

If it is even close to this condition, it should be a great machine to sew with.
Attached Thumbnails 20110506_16.jpg  
Old 01-21-2014, 05:05 PM

Thank you for the link. Yes, a picture would've been helpful. Sorry, but I did not think to snap one. I do appreciate your response, though. Perhaps I will be able to find a manual and see about cleaning. Again, thanks
Old 01-21-2014, 05:45 PM

Jennieb,
There could be a half dozen different made machines called "New Automatic". The one in the picture looks like Free. Good chance you'll need to find a manual under the manufacturer rather than New Automatic. Post a pic and see if someone can ID it by make and model.

Jon
Old 01-22-2014, 06:44 AM

Jon, So you're saying that New Automatic is not the company name?
Old 01-22-2014, 08:37 AM
Banned

In the early days of Sewing machines they were FAR more concerned with physical copyright infringment, naming was almost irrelevant to them. (Some lawsuits happened over naming but not many)

for example some sewing machine manufacturing companies had a policy that if you ordered 5 machines at a time you could have any name you want put on them. That is also why the name portion wears of SO much faster than the rest. The main decorative decals were from a stock catalog of available artwork but the the name decals were made custom (and cheaper).
Old 01-22-2014, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by jennieb View Post
Jon, So you're saying that New Automatic is not the company name?
It is a "Badge" rather than company name. A dozen or so manufacturers made thousands of different badged names. Good chance Free made your New Automatic.

Jon
Old 01-22-2014, 10:52 AM

I'd also guess Free - based on how the attachment hole lines up with the needle and the divide in the slide plates. And that the slide plates are on the larger side (New Home and National are narrow).

I've found one of the easiest ways to figure out who made the machine (for top clamp) is to figure out what set of attachments would fit.

When it's not a name brand name, you have to be careful going by the "Name" on the machine, since very few were brand names I doubt there was any copyright issues going on. Even the Boye Display case instructions warn about this, that the name may have been used by more than one company, so the needle/shuttle recommended might not be correct.

Last edited by Macybaby; 01-22-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:36 PM

where are you guys finding these machines. maybe i have too, it's just that my eyes are fixed on finding singer brand. maybe i need to broaden my horizons to broaden my knowledge and broaden my collection....
Old 01-22-2014, 04:49 PM
Banned

Yeah, at this point I am almost avoiding Singers unless they are VERY old (or weird). Take a tour around the needlebar picture site. there are probably more brands and machines than you have time to review......