New Century Sewing Machines?

Old 04-25-2021, 09:37 AM

I'm afraid I can't make out the rest of what it says, it starts with an A and then everything in between is a blur and then the end it says AC-NH
Old 04-25-2021, 09:54 AM

I also found information on another forum called victorian sweatshop? a person said: The 40F1, CC1221 and 206X13 will all work fine in a Free built Rotary sewing machine and the sister New Home Rotary machines. One old needle chart that has been around for decades lists the CC needles as the same as 206X13 and I have tried the 206X13 in the Free Westinghouse machines and they work fine.

But I'm not sure if I could use these needles on my machine? Really I'll just be sewing through cotton. So nothing too thick or heavy.
Old 04-25-2021, 09:58 AM

Do you think a whetstone would work by hand to grind a needle down? Also I was looking up new motors that come with a presser foot last night, they say they connect to almost all machines with side motors. Do you think I could use a motor with a belt (attached to the wheel) to make this run by electric again?
Old 04-25-2021, 10:12 AM

Needlebar.org says this:

Late 19th/20th Century New Home Machines

The vast majority of New Home machines have the serial number on a Slide Plate.

Earlier models are often referred to by the "class" name eg New National, which became the model U, then US.

After the Free Sewing Machine Company took over New Home some models were sold under both the New Home and Free names (as well as other badged names). New Home machines started to use letters in front of their serial numbers in about 1930. The letters represent the model type. This applied to all models, including those with a Badged Name.

"New Home" models include: AC, AD, DA, DNHM, JL, KK, LN, M, MS, NH, NHR, NHL, NLR, TS, U, US, NLB.

Free produced models with the following designations (note duplications): A, AD, AAE, AE, ALE, ALR, AN, ANR, ARE, C, CCE, CE, DARE, FH, G, GE, K, KE, L, LE, N, NE, NMO, M, MM, ME, MO, P, PE, W, XE, ALB. For further information about Free Sewing Machine models, see the NeedleBar Picture Library.

Demise of New Home, National & Free

Needle information is taken from Mr NeedleBar's Needle Book compiled by Chrys Gunther, in which additional interchangeable needle makes and information about these models will be found. In many cases a 15x1 (2020) needle may be used in place of 20x1 and set slightly down.

I'm not sure if it's implying that I can use a 15x1 needle or not?
Old 04-25-2021, 10:16 AM

I'm not sure if this information is correct or not but I found a picture of my machine?

New Home AC, AD, DAKey features: Cam drive rotary machine, a descendant of the Free line, having a tangle free spool pin. Tension on face plate. Reversible stitch regulator is Germanic in appearance. Hand wheels available for treadle or electric models, serial number to rear or pillar. Uses Free rotary bobbin and case, bobbin case base has notched rim with solid center pin.

Interchangeable Needles: 206x13 - Boye 2 1/2 - Schmetz 21:32 - Free CC - Brewer T

Old 04-25-2021, 10:25 AM

Don't be bummed about the needles. I have owned 3 of these machines and have found needles on ebay twice, just had to wait a bit. I found some bobbins also, but only because of Janey (or Mickey, I can't remember the post), and they came from England.

Regarding the motor, check the back of the pillar and see if there are holes tapped in for a motor bracket. The two motorized ones I've had have had the motor mounted from the back of the pillar.

I have this machine

The Vandervoort

which uses the same needle, bobbin, and bobbin case. I have no plans for it, but I don't know if you're anywhere close to SE Missouri.
Old 04-25-2021, 10:41 AM

Thank you so much for the welcome and your help!
Old 04-25-2021, 10:44 AM

Unfortunately I live in Ohio but I appreciate that! And I'll keep looking! The one that I have was mounted on the side and had a bracket with screws but I removed it. I was just wondering if a modern motor with the presser foot would work on it? It says it works with almost all older machines that have side motors.
Old 04-25-2021, 11:32 AM

So sorry for bombarding you with information I've found and also questions. I apologize. I'll just ask this, Do you think DD1221 needles would work? They say they work in all new home sewing machines and free westinghouse round bobbin rotary cam driven machines.
Old 04-25-2021, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by melissam707 View Post
...The one that I have was mounted on the side and had a bracket with screws but I removed it. I was just wondering if a modern motor with the presser foot would work on it? It says it works with almost all older machines that have side motors.

No, most of those motors available are for those with the "motor boss" under the hand wheel. The machine you have is what is called a direct drive and the rotation is different from a lot of other vintage machines. I'm not familiar with any motors that can be reversed.

No, DD1221 are even longer than 15x1. Also 206x13 are not very common , but probably more common than CC1221.

The presser foot is the name of the attachment that lowers to the feed dogs when you sew. The foot pedal or foot controller is what is used to make power go to the motor.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 04-25-2021 at 12:09 PM.