New Home 960 Excessive Noise?

Old 06-11-2020, 06:43 AM

This is the outlet like Joe Jr needs, Most are not labeled so nicely.

https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...22-590161.html
Old 06-11-2020, 07:29 AM

Here's what I have so far: When the stitch width is 0-1 it does not make any noise when moving the handwheel back and forth by hand with the the thread take up at the top; with the stitch width 2-5 and the same movement there is a definite metal on metal tap/clank sound. I can eliminate the noise by pushing in where circled on the picture, so the noise, on my machine anyway, is coming from the needle bar mechanism. When I run the machine with various stitch widths I do not hear any metal on metal noise, but the whole machine vibrates a lot, especially at open throttle.
I learned there can be such a thing as too much oil, or at least too much in the wrong places, because I oiled the stitch width adjustment (circled in picture) and when running the stitch width selector will vibrate over to 5 if it's anything greater than 0.
And for Leon, there's my bench testing outlet put together just for this project.
I tried to post a video of the movement producing the noise, but the file type is not supported and I can't convert what I have.
Attached Thumbnails inkedimg_0222_li.jpg   inkedimg_0212_li.jpg   img_0221.jpg  
Old 06-12-2020, 06:01 AM

I had originally planned to clean up this machine and sell it, but after spending a lot more hours than I planned bent over it on the workbench, and seeing how nicely it sews, finally, I think I'll keep it. The noise I described never went away, but I am revising my thoughts that it's from the needle bar area. I still don't know why it slows down with a greater stitch width, but I'm hoping that's something more oil will fix, or maybe it will just be a straight stitch machine. I was glad to have the fire lit under me to get it working!
Old 06-12-2020, 06:05 AM

You’ve been most helpful.