New (to me) Minnesota S

Old 04-12-2021, 04:54 PM

Default New (to me) Minnesota S

Hi all!

I'm new here but just picked up a very nice Minnesota model S treadle machine. It has its share of problems (broken casting, cabinet drawers are pretty beat) but free always has a nice ring to it.

Still figuring out how to get pictures posted, but I know that this was a house brand for Sears and most likely made by Davis in the early 1910's. I also know that these were copies of Singer machines. What I can't figure out is if Singer parts can be used on a Davis machine. Can it be done? Has it been tried? Please let me know! Thanks in advance.

Scott
Old 04-13-2021, 05:02 AM

Welcome, Scott. Hopefully, jlhmnj will be along and give you some additional information for your machine.

It looks like you saw the ismacs page that tells about Minnesota machines for Sears.

It looks like maybe the manual in post #7 of New treadle may be helpful.

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 04-13-2021 at 05:16 AM. Reason: correct link
Old 04-13-2021, 06:16 AM

Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan! There are so many people who can help you out in the Vintage & Antique group that you will get some of the best advice. I am not the one however to advise you. I only dabble in Vintage and Antique machines and have a small collections of machines. I am sure that some of them will jump in on this thread which I will be following. Again thanks for becoming one of us at the QB.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:18 AM

I have a Franklin, Sears clone of a Singer 27, which was manufactured by either White or Domestic according to ismacs.net, and I have used Singer 27 parts on it: shuttle, needle, bobbins, and tension parts.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:02 AM

Welcome from South Lousiana!
Old 04-13-2021, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by JoeJr View Post
I have a Franklin, Sears clone of a Singer 27, which was manufactured by either White or Domestic according to ismacs.net, and I have used Singer 27 parts on it: shuttle, needle, bobbins, and tension parts.
Thanks, Joe! From what I gathered off ISMACS, mine was built by Davis between 1910-1912 (IIRC). It looks so much like a Singer (minus the weight) that I had to ask.

Scott
Old 04-13-2021, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan! There are so many people who can help you out in the Vintage & Antique group that you will get some of the best advice. I am not the one however to advise you. I only dabble in Vintage and Antique machines and have a small collections of machines. I am sure that some of them will jump in on this thread which I will be following. Again thanks for becoming one of us at the QB.
I sincerely love the idea of quilting, I have family deep in the trenches of quilt making, but I can barely sew by hand, much less by machine. So I'll stick with fixing up machines instead.

Scott
Old 04-13-2021, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
Welcome from South Lousiana!
And hello from New Jersey! Since yours is the smallest message, I'll try to add pictures to this reply.

The machine is beautiful. I wish I could say the same for the cabinet and treadle.
Attached Thumbnails img_13042021_201432_-1080_x_1080_pixel-.jpg   img_13042021_201424_-1080_x_1080_pixel-.jpg   img_13042021_202203_-1080_x_1080_pixel-.jpg   img_13042021_202828_-1080_x_1080_pixel-.jpg   img_13042021_203010_-1080_x_1080_pixel-.jpg  

Old 04-14-2021, 04:05 AM

That cabinet does look like it's had a hard life!
Old 04-14-2021, 06:55 AM

Take a crack at fixing the table. Wood can be glued and nailed, and metal (to a lesser extent) can be fixed also; I have used JB Weld and other 2 part epoxies along with wire to act as rebar. I also use Howard Restore-A-Finish on the wood and have been very happy with the results.

If you don't want to tackle that table you can look for an "empty" Singer treadle table, it is likely that your machine will drop right in.

Once you start working on these machines, it's tough to stop...be warned!