New (to me) Singer 99-13's

Old 08-09-2020, 04:58 PM

Default New (to me) Singer 99-13's

Hello everyone. My name is Chaz, and I am a vintage sewing machine addict. First, the back story. I got a sewing machine to make curtains, because I am not a millionaire and custom curtains cost a fortune. I am good at it, if I say so myself! When my IKEA machine broke after 3 curtain panels (what can you expect?), I ran out and got a Singer 404 from a local shop:

I paid $275, which is perhaps overpaying, but it is in good working order and came with every possible attachment. And I supported a local business during an economic crisis. Perhaps feeling sorry for what I paid, the shop owner threw in the table for free (I am still waiting for the hinges in the mail. The USPS slowdown is killing me!).

If I had waited a week, I would have saved myself the money. While cleaning out my mother's house, I found this lovely HA-1. When I found it, it needed a good cleaning and oiling. It was covered with tiny specks of white paint, which I polished away (fortunately it isn't lacquer because I made the mistake of using rubbing alcohol!). Since I already had a perfectly serviceable "working" machine, I am converting this to a hand-crank machine just for the lark. The blasted hand crank is taking to come from China.

While researching the history of Japanese "clone" machines, I learned about the US government handing over the designs for the Singer 15-90 to Japan to rebuild the country's economy, and how competition from Japanese Singer clones forced Singer to finally start innovating, which led to the 404 that I already owned (via the 301).

Since then, something terrible has happened. I am not an avid sewer. I am unlikely to ever become an avid sewer. The machines, though. I think about them night and day! I oil my machines and clean out the crevices of my machines with a Q-tip in my free time. I read articles about restoring vintage sewing machines. I reached the drop off into addiction when I found a beat-up 15-91 at a rummage sale for $20. I remarked "Hey, that's similar to the HA-1 I have!" I didn't buy it, and as I lay awake regretting missing out, I perceived that I might be developing a problem.

I cleaved to Ebay and found this forlorn 99-13:

I am still waiting for it to arrive. I over paid again: the machine was only $20, but it cost $50 to ship, and it's missing most of the parts. Lesson learned: shipping a sewing machine is hard to justify. I am still waiting for it to come in the mail, so I can only hope that the inside isn't as rusty as the outside. I know I overpaid, because I saw this guy at a local antique shop today for only $45:

Another 99-13 in much (MUCH) better condition. Of course I bought it. It is missing the belt, the tension assembly, and the oil can, all easy enough to remedy. The enamel and decals on the bed are in sorry shape too, but the needle moves up and down when I spin the wheel. Not a bad find: the bentwood case alone is worth more than $45.

Now I have two 99-13's. Perhaps having the clunker will be a good machine to practice restoration on before moving on to better condition machines. I have a lot of things to learn: Paint stripping and rust removal, Japan lacquer and decal application, nickel plating, rewiring, wood veneer refinishing, and of course refurbishing the inner workings and hunting down parts. With all due respect to the preservationists, my goal is to make both machines like new!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-10-2020 at 03:05 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps and comments on moderation not permitted
Old 08-10-2020, 06:21 AM

Welcome to the madness, Chaz. Isn't it wonderful?. You have 4 great machines to work with. If you put the spoked wheel from the 15 clone on the 99s, they could be hand cranked, also. Replacing a tensioner is a matter of one set screw initially. then you might have to tinker a bit to get the tension right. Keep them away from each other. They will multiply .
Attached Thumbnails attic-stairs-crop-2-b.jpg  
Old 08-10-2020, 09:12 AM

Nice machines Chaz! I've developped a fondness for the 99s, I have a 99K1 from 1913 with a hand-crank and I love it! It is so peaceful to work with!
Old 08-10-2020, 11:20 AM

My 99s like to travel
Attached Thumbnails ks-day-leon-avatar-b-c.jpg   ks-day-4-year-old-faschination-b.jpg   ks-day-both-tables-b.jpg  
Old 08-11-2020, 04:03 PM

My second Singer 99 arrived today. (I bought a machine online and then found an impossible to pass up deal at the local shop the very next day). I am pleased to find out that the online purchase was actually a 99K rather than a 99-13. While there is a lot of surface rust on the exposed parts, the inner workings aren't too bad. It has had a hard life: the corner of the belt guard is broken and the motor bracket is snapped in two.

Right now I am struggled to remove one of the rusted screws on the throat plate.

Old 08-12-2020, 06:04 AM

https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...81-621450.html

My favorite tools for those screws include a Swiss army knife half open, on offset screwdriver or a 1/4 drive ratchet with a flat blade bit.

Old 08-12-2020, 06:41 AM

Thanks! I just now managed to get it out with WD-40 Rust Penetrant and a wider screw driver bit in a ratchet wrench. The last sewing job this machine was used for involved pink thread!

You tube is filled with guys who get those screws out just by tapping them with a hammer, but I supposed I don't have the magic tap.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:27 PM

Quite partial to the old 99's myself....learned on one of these as a kidda
Old 08-17-2020, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Chaz_Hoosier View Post
H... While cleaning out my mother's house, I found this lovely HA-1. When I found it, it needed a good cleaning and oiling.
Did the 15-clone have a cabinet? It would fit in your #40 that you got https://www.quiltingboard.com/8410835-post4.html

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.