Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: New Singer 237 Fashion Mate

New Singer 237 Fashion Mate

I was just given this Singer 237 by a lady that had bought a new machine and just wanted this one to go to a good home, instead of just throwing it away. (Gasp!!) I have not been able to test it yet, but she said it worked, other than the bobbin winder being a bit persnickety. It looks quite clean, so far, although I have not yet looked underneath or into the Bobben area. I am tickled, though. I researched t a bit yesterday here on this board, and also online, and it seems to have a decent reputation. This one had belong to her grandmother.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ​Sheri

Power Poster
    The bobbin winder may just need a new "bobbin winder tire" - it's a small rubber doughnut that is easy to replace and can be bought fairly inexpensively on e-bay or through several dealers. (I found e-bay to be the least expensive)

I liked the machine well enough to acquire four of them.

It has an excellent satin stitch and can sew through several layers of heavy denim.

It seems to me that this is one of the models that were used in schools. Nice machine. The rubber ring can even be had at Walmart....
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Great model sometimes a little under powered. I have one too!

I have one and it does a nice satin stitch.

Quote Originally Posted by sdhaevrsi View Post
    it seems to have a decent reputation.
    There's a review of one here. Something of a rave review, in fact. You've done well
    Singers: model 12 MOP (1885) Improved Family 29k58 (1939) 44K11 (1921) 201K2, 201K23 206k11 (1950) 222k (1959) 320k2(1959), 15K90, Bernina 530, Pfaff:360 (1959) http://tailororfailure.blogspot.com

Thanks, it is good to hear others' experience with these. Bearisgray, it did need a new bobbin tire. It was hidden, and I didn't find it until I took off the top for the cleaning. I have put a new one on.

Manicmike, I had read that review yesterday, too. That one, and the one on Sew-Classic, and some on here, sounded good. And I figured I couldn't go wrong with it being free, ha!

The bobbin it had in it is a real cheap, flimsy thing. I will have to get a decent one to really try the machine, I don't even want to run it with this thing in it.

Also, bigger issue, I am pretty sure something is wrong with the tension set up. The little metal dish-type-disks that sit face to face, and that whole inner part of the knob, is very loose. I need to find info now on what a tension set up should look like, and how to go about doing something about it. The thing I am concerned and especially puzzled by is that the silver rod that inserts into the machine from that tension knob is very loose in itself, and I can't figure out how one could adjust that part. I hope it isn't hopeless. If anyone has ideas please let me know. In the meantime, the machine is clean, greased, and waiting for me to figure something out.

I am afraid to even bump it at this time, and will clean it better later.

Last edited by sdhaevrsi; 06-03-2014 at 03:54 PM.
    ​Sheri

I have checked the tfsr site, but don't think it is the same type of tension... I am not finding a good one for teaching me about what this should be like.
    ​Sheri

give me a few minutes i'll dig up my fashion mate and post a pic.

Blog Entries
    Tammi made a real nice video about the 201 tension - it would be pretty much the same - check out her video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzFX...AyBQ2l-Mzkw7ew
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Thanks, foufymaus. And, do your silver plates and the silver rod going into the machine jiggle loosely when you touch them? (There must be a proper name for those, but I don't know it.)
    ​Sheri

If the presser foot is up, and the upper tension is set low, the tension discs will "jiggle loosely" when touched.
    Mark

Aaaahhhh!! Mark, you are BRILLIANT to this newby sewing machine mechanic! I have sewn for over a quarter of a century and never knew that!! That is all the problem is, then, as far as I can see. I just need to get the right bobbin now!

Can you see me smiling from where you are? (I feel like a dork, but a happy dork!)

​Sheri

Name:  0603141850.jpg
Views: 2365
Size:  41.1 KBName:  0603141847b.jpg
Views: 2390
Size:  43.5 KBName:  0603141847a.jpg
Views: 2440
Size:  49.9 KB

Nice, foufymas, thank you, it looks like everything is in the right place from your photos.

Now, do you lubricate the motor?
    ​Sheri

I usually drop or two on the bearing like most motors. I just haven't cracked this one yet it's a tougher nut to crack than other motors. Lol

Ok. I haven't found any place to oil or lube. And, somewhere online I saw Singer's directive to not oil, but they didn't mention lubing.

I think she shall be named "Carla," after the lady I got her from. She is cleaned, oiled, and sounds much better than she did when I ran her before the spa treatment. I am surprised at how much nicer she sounds!!
    ​Sheri

Power Poster
    I do need to readjust the tension on one of my machines every so often. It loosens up by itself. So I have to say that it does have some tension issues. I have a note to myself about where the settings should be.

Sheri,
    Your machine is missing the knob that drops the feed dogs. My 237 looks just like yours. I treadle my machine because the motor on mine was broken. I like treadles better than electric machines sometimes.
    The needle goes in the machine with the flat to the right and threads from left to right. Its a nice simple machine that works very well.

Old machines need to be oiled frequently, otherwise they will cease to work very well.
    www.singerco.com has a free manual for your machine, it shows where and how to oil your machine,it has everything you need to know to learn to use your new machine.
    Sharon

Last edited by purplefiend; 06-05-2014 at 08:04 PM.

It isn't missing the knob--it is missing the drop foot! Ha! I am thinking this must be a bit earlier in the series because it wasn't made with the drop foot.

I have only sewed one thing on my grandma's treadle. It takes some powerful concentration and coordination. I don't know if I can develop that.
    ​Sheri