New Williams Treadle SM

Old 01-09-2012, 07:27 PM

Default New Williams Treadle SM

Hi: Need help locating parts for a New Williams Treadle SM. If anyone out there can point me in the right direction, it would trruly be appreciated. I just purchased one off Ebay and didn't think to ask whether all it's "guts" were there. Stupid me! It looks like I may need a rusty old junker to salvage the mechanisms for this machine. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:10 PM

Hi, you might try to contact " Lost51" . He knows all there is to know about vintage machines . Good luck , Karen
Old 01-10-2012, 06:14 AM

Chance, you need to identify the manufacturer of the machine first.. "New Williams" is a badged machine, meaning that it was made by one of the majors for distribution by someone else. If you can identify it as a a machine made by White, A.G. Mason, National, Davis, etc., it will be easier to find the parts for it.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:32 AM

I have searched and searched for info on this machine til my eyes are about to fall out. Here is the most info I have been able to glean:

The New Williams Sewing Machine was made by the Williams Manufacturing Company (W.M.F.C.Co. - as it says on my treadle base). The W.M.F.C.Co. began in 1863, but sources cite different dates when this company ended. Here we are told that the company lasted until 1899, however, I suspect that they have confused the dates. At the McCord Museum we are told that the fine fellow that did this beautiful engraving died in 1899. And here we are told that the W.M.F.C.Co. liquidated in 1929.

There are no identifying Serial or Model Numbers or anywhere. The slide pates are missing so there may have been a patent date. I will locate a picture of it as well as the engraving of the underside (these are the parts I need or subsitutes for them) and try to figure out how to upload them. Be right back. Thanks for your interest and help.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:58 AM

Help - trying to upload pics - Exactly where is this icon located?. (To insert a picture in your post, select the “insert image” icon on top of the message box. This icon looks like a framed picture of a tree.) The only one that remotely resembles a tree is a "report this post. Am I looking too hard?
Old 01-11-2012, 06:20 AM

Default New Williams Pics

Here are the pictures of the machine - I need the underside parts or ones that can be substituted. I really believe this 'lady' can be rescued. The picture of the machine is not mine - mine is in better condition. Thanks for all your help. Board may be frustrating, but it still ROCKS!!
Attached Thumbnails nw_machine.jpg   new-williams.jpg  
Old 01-11-2012, 07:18 AM

I did find your machine on the ISMACS needle list, and they agree that the manufacturer is Williams, it's going to take a Singer 4x1 needle, or the Boye 8 needle, it doesn't list a shuttle. For your slide plates, check with Jenny at sew-classic.com, if she doesn't have them, she will probably know which way to point you to get them.
I have a few NOS shuttles but am not sure that they'd fit your machine. Most of the time, if you can get fairly close to the original in shuttle size, it will work. (Nice thing about these old girls!)
Check with the ISMACS group (send an email to their list), you might also join Needlebar and see if the guys and gals there can help!

ETA: I apologize for being a "know it all" and saying that the machine was a badged name!! I should have done a bit of research first!

Last edited by Charlee; 01-11-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:33 PM

I appreciate all the input and information all of you give to help each other to help find answers. I am really enjoying the QB. also, learning a lot about buying older or vintage machines.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:45 PM

Charlee - reply appreciate all the info. There are so many machines with off names - I thought it was a badged one until I tried to get info on it (precious little out there). As soon as I know Exactly what I need I will get back to you on the parts you may have. Even ISMAC didn't have much on it. Even though I got burned, I came out ahead because I found all these wonderful people who are trying to help me out. Good people on this Board and out there on the net. Thanks

bsktkeepeer - Contacted LostN51 - thanks for the referral
Old 08-12-2013, 04:14 PM

I too have one of these New Williams machines and have just started to get it working. What do you use for needles? I have been perusing e-bay but most sellers don't put needle size or measurements. I have sent them questions and am waiting, but have you ever tried the standard 'modern' needles?