Newbie Question singer 66

Old 08-29-2016, 04:48 PM

Default Newbie Question singer 66

This machine is for sale on shopgoodwill.com. (I'm not buying - just curious.) If it has that kind of bobbin winder, it has a shuttle, right?

bk
Old 08-29-2016, 06:38 PM

Singer 66 has a round bobbin. Some machines are mislabeled on that sight. p.s. the link goes to the home page
Old 08-30-2016, 03:11 AM

I couldn't get any where with the link either (just the general start page). As Penny describes, it has round bobbins. Model 66 was the first machine with a horizontal drop-in bobbin system, "latest and greatest" at the time. 10 years later they introduced model 99 wich is a 3/4 size version of it. Ever since, this bobbin type has been called class 66 and used in many models; modern machines use a plastic version of it called Apollo. The are practically intechangeable for any metal bobbin case and a few models with plastic cases. I have a few plastic bobbins for my 99 and my 201, they work fine, but I tend to stock up on the metal version.

There's at least two types of bobbin winders for class 66 machines; one with a "forked finger" guiding the thread back and forth as it winds. The finger thread guide part, has a cam like action in the back not visible in photos (chromed part behind the circular cog). The later winder doesn't have this moving thread guide but a thread guide at the base of the machine in stead, and the thread sort of guides it self. I have the earlier type on my 99, and it winds just as even and nice as the later)

Eearly winder on a model 99

Later model 66, with the camless winder, and with a lever in stead of a turn knob for adjusting stitch length.

Last edited by Mickey2; 08-30-2016 at 03:20 AM.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:35 AM

...I think there is a third version too, treadle models often have the turn wheel for the winder lowering down on the leather belt in stead of the hand wheel. It runs with out bobbin tire.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:07 AM

Default Sorry, I forgot to attach

This is the machine I was asking about (probably not a 66).
bk
Attached Thumbnails 66-question-mark.jpg  
Old 08-30-2016, 05:17 AM

That's a 128, with an unusual finish, even the slide plates are black! And yes, it's a long bobbin winder :- ) It looks like it's in nice condition, but rather dirty. The hand wheel has the regular shiny finish, as well as the part covering the motor belt; it looks like it might be from another machine? Rather unusual parts to swap though, unless it was a hand crank at one point, but I doubt it ever was with the crinkle finish. I'm not sure. I think the crinkle finish were most common in the 40s, maybe up into the 50s, but it's not often it turns up.

Last edited by Mickey2; 08-30-2016 at 05:22 AM.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:34 AM

I did a googe search and it turns out to be a 128-23, with all original parts. It was apparently meant to have the crinkle finish of the body set up against the shiny shellac of the hand wheel. It works well with the shiny black slide plates, maybe that's why. I found a picture of a 128-23 on this site. I'm not sure of the the special feature of the submodel 128-23, but the finish seems like it's part of it, and the the lid in front just above the bobbin winder isn't on the 23 version. The motor and light set up is very nice on you machine, it's a nice little machien in general.

Last edited by Mickey2; 08-30-2016 at 05:37 AM.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:42 AM

I turned my 1946 Singer 66-16 into a hand crank machine. Bought the part on eBay. Was easy peasy. I live in Fl and our electric goes out on a monthly basis. Don't know why. Anywho, love the way it works when my featherweight is sidelined. I would post a pix if only I knew how.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:42 PM

Default Photo posting

Posting a photo is easy peasy. First, you are replying to a thread, you have to click "Go Advanced". Then scroll down to The little blue box that says "manage attachments". Click that. A pop-up comes up. On that pop-up window, click on the little button at the top that says "browse". Click that and and your computer desktop comes up. Navigate to the photo you want to post. Click on the file name that you want to post. Then hit "upload". It's done. "Preview post" to see what it looks like.

bk
Old 08-30-2016, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by marshaKay View Post
... I live in Fl and our electric goes out on a monthly basis. Don't know why. Anywho, love the way it works when my featherweight is sidelined...
If you actually use your hand crank regularly, you would love a treadle. It's not at all as difficult to get the feel for the treadle part as it might sound, and you have two hands free like you are used to. The pluss side is the feel you get for the stitching, needle movement and and speed flows like a dream. It's a joy to sew and almost preferable to motor on unless you require something super speedy. It generally runs faster than hand crank.