Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
oiling the Brother Innov'is NX 450Q Quilt Club >

oiling the Brother Innov'is NX 450Q Quilt Club

oiling the Brother Innov'is NX 450Q Quilt Club

Old 04-01-2015, 09:27 AM

Default oiling the Brother Innov'is NX 450Q Quilt Club

I've had this machine about a year -- a gift from my husband -- and clean the bobbin/race area regularly. But the manual gives no information about applying oil, except to say "do not oil bobbin area". I've also searched online for information, to no avail.

Does one not oil a computerized machine? What about the mechanical areas? I know I can call the local dealer (which sold my unknowing husband this "demonstration" machine at an exorbitant price for what was a well used machine) but I prefer not to (see above). So, anyone here know how or where or if to oil this machine? I certainly won't apply oil until I get the true skinny, but also don't want to neglect it.

Thanks in advance for any and all help and information!
Old 04-01-2015, 09:35 AM
Banned

Brother doesn't want you to service the machine yourself, they say this in all of their manuals, have for years. My BFF has a PE770 that had an awful squeak and when we took to the dealer they were great about finding it and showing her where to oil it. I'm thinking not all dealers are like this. As much as I love my vintage Brothers, one of the reasons I don't want a new (or a newer) one is just for this reason. I prefer machines I can service myself. Your machine even though it was bought used should be under some kind of warranty that includes a cleaning/oil service.

Cari
Old 04-01-2015, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Brother doesn't want you to service the machine yourself, they say this in all of their manuals, have for years. My BFF has a PE770 that had an awful squeak and when we took to the dealer they were great about finding it and showing her where to oil it. I'm thinking not all dealers are like this. As much as I love my vintage Brothers, one of the reasons I don't want a new (or a newer) one is just for this reason. I prefer machines I can service myself. Your machine even though it was bought used should be under some kind of warranty that includes a cleaning/oil service.

Cari
Thanks for this!

I've only had Singers before this and always cleaned and oiled them myself. It annoys me that I have to take this one in, not least because I think the dealer took advantage of my husband. But in it goes, nevertheless; I can't allow personal feelings to endanger the machine.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:11 AM

My Janome has a little wick in the bobbin area, that's supposed to be the only user-maintained place to oil the machine; and my dealer told me that I shouldn't even do that as they will do it for me when I bring it in for an annual check-up.

But now that I'm past my first 2 years and those checkups are no longer free, I think I'll be putting a drop of oil on that wick every 6 months or so - I will probably not bring the machine in every year. Maybe every 2nd or 3rd year!
Old 04-02-2015, 09:08 AM

I have a Brother Innovis 4000D. When you are sitting looking at the machine, the left most part which has the take up thread lever on the right side of it is the only part that is easy to get off. There is a small screw on the back side, and you just slide the end cap off. My service guy told me to put a drop or two of oil on the needle mechanism, same as any mechanical machine and let it sew some without any thread. Mine won't. I have to put a piece of material in there that I don't care if it gets a bit of oil on it and just sew. He did mention a drop in the bobbin area, but I forgot where. Mine ends up needing some type of attention about every two years so I let the service man do the clean and oil at that time.

I oil my very used Nolting long arm in the same way, except that it has 4 little openings at the top and I put a drop in the bobbin race, which is what the bobbin sits in.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

My Brother SQ9000 (bought July 2010) was seizing up and when I told Jim he took it apart and put some oil. I had to wait about two days before it stopped dripping down the needle, but it could not be helped. (did not want it going into the bobbin so I put a piece of paper under the needle) It's working fine now.