Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Ok need some help with this one..... >

Ok need some help with this one.....

Ok need some help with this one.....

Old 06-14-2013, 07:50 AM

Default Ok need some help with this one.....

Was at an estate sale to day and found this little treasure.... it was just too cute to pass up... I believe it is a 24 series.. but it has a motor not a hand crank... she really is in nice shape... started to freak out when I didn't see a bobbin but from what I found so far it may be a "single chain stich".... Down side is the power cord is crumbling and there is no peddle.... Anyone have any thoughts or info you may be able to share? Thanks much, Gretchen
Attached Thumbnails 002.jpg   001.jpg  
Old 06-14-2013, 08:23 AM

I have no knowledge to share but it certainly is a treasure! Congratulations on your find. It would have come home with me too.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:26 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

This might give you some help. Looks like you have an electric 24-62 that have already had a new power cord at least once. it uses a knee control that fits into the hole is the front of the case--no foot pedal. That is a beautiful machine. Definitely a rewire job.
http://www.sewalot.com/singer%2024.htm
Old 06-14-2013, 08:39 AM
Banned

I really love the painted work area on these 24's. They are great little machines and worth a bit in fully operational state
Old 06-15-2013, 07:03 AM

She is a real beauty-- The only advice I can help with is Talk to you favorite clerk at your favorite fabric store and she can give you a name and phone number of a repairman who loves and specializes in our favorite old Singers. No matter what state or city I've ever lived in this has always been my way of finding the right person to fix my machines and find any parts I may need.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:19 AM

Gretchen,

That is the old latex insulated wire Singer used before and after WW II. Usually the wiring inside is aluminum. I hate the stuff.
It's very easy to rewire that using the original block and new cord. Or you can buy a new complete cord set from Sew-Classic and others.

Neat little machine.

Joe
Old 06-15-2013, 07:22 AM

I don't have any advice for you, but I sure couldn't have passed her up either. She is cute as a button.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:50 AM

Nice find. It's one that I don't have in my collection. There's a free download manual at Singer.

http://sewing-machines.blogspot.com/...e-manuals.html
^ There's a link to the manual the Smithsonian has online, if you want cleaner scans of the diagrams.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

Your power cord should be simple. Just find someone to replace it. You can pick up the cord at any home store, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. You may be able to find the peddle on line or at an antique store near you.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:27 PM

Thanks everyone for your help... posting a few pictures of the surprises I found when I lifted the machine up form the base! I'm having problems locating the actual user manual, I see Singer has a number posted that one can call for help... has anyone ever tried and if so were you able to get assistance? I'm trying ot figure out how I can (or more likely my husband..LOL!) create the knee lever... the design is different than those currently available that I have found... Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails 028.jpg   031.jpg   037.jpg   038.jpg