Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: old black sewing machines

There's nothing like those old Singers. When my son was young I could not find jeans that were the right length for him. So I cut off a pair and tried to hem them. My new Singer wouldn't budge over the seams. I set up my mother's old treadle Singer which she purchased "used" in the 1930s, and over that thick seam we went -- never even slowed down.

A few years ago I was at a garage sale. They had many old machines for sale. they were all rusty and he had them laying on the ground. No black paint left and they were not working. Is there any way to clean them in this condition to get them working again. They were $1.00 ea.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavada
    guess i should take a closer look at the sewing machine in my attic not sure who it belonged to as i never asked my husbands mom it has been there since i lived in the house for52 years
    wow u might have one gem of a machine up there. run fast and go look.

Blog Entries
    I rarely use my "new" machine. I use my vintage Singer 66 or my Necchi. I use my featherweight for classes. I'm actually considering selling my "new" machine.

Marie

Blog Entries
    Yes, I agree that the older machines that are not computerized are the best!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter53
    A few years ago I was at a garage sale. They had many old machines for sale. they were all rusty and he had them laying on the ground. No black paint left and they were not working. Is there any way to clean them in this condition to get them working again. They were $1.00 ea.
    There are some people who re-paint those in cool colors. As for repairing check out the Vintage Sewing Machine Shop on this board. The members of the VSMS are very knowledgable and helpful. There are also tutorials on cleaning.

Marie

Blog Entries
    i just like having an antique machine. i don't sew with mine

Which machine--despite the cost--can sew and wind the bobbin at the same time? Re: Page 10 at the bottom-Singer 15-88 manual. Singer treadle can.

Washington State summer, Sun City AZ winter
    Quote Originally Posted by tappedants
    It IS a Featherweight. I guess I'll ask Mama to send it homw with me next time I visit. She has a white one too.
    Grab it and run!!! You are lucky to get one from a family member. I had to buy mine.

So what is considered vintage? I have my mom's Singer 404, Tan and cream colored, that I remember her buying 50 years ago. is that machine considered vntage?

It works fine and I use it as my backup becase my new (November 2010) Singer has been in the shop twice because the bobbin keeps jamming. They sure don't make them like they used to!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cindit
    Thanks for your help! I'll be checking out craigslist!!
    You may also want to check out the Singer 301a. It is the big sister to the Featherweight. I have 2 FW's (a white one and a black one) and one 301- love them all but I probably use the 301 the most. Both are just awesome! I also have a Viking Sapphire 875 and a Babylock Ellure Plus...but love the old Singers the best :)

Blog Entries
    Dear Tappedants,

I agree with the one who commented on they are awful little machines I really don't think you want either of them I can help get rid of them for you............ooooooohhhhhhhhh stop stop I just recalled I am your long lost sister "Quilty" your mom probably just forgot about me and she needs to send both those machines to me well okay I will be nice I have to FW with the gold on them so I will take the white one and let you keep the black one and we can play together how does that sound (lol) Of course if you realllllllllllyyyyyyyyy don't want them I will be glad to take them off your hands. Enjoy the machines you lucky person you and take them while your mom is still around so no one else will just mess with them.

I would consider that, vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by Joselake
    So what is considered vintage? I have my mom's Singer 404, Tan and cream colored, that I remember her buying 50 years ago. is that machine considered vntage?

It works fine and I use it as my backup becase my new (November 2010) Singer has been in the shop twice because the bobbin keeps jamming. They sure don't make them like they used to!!!!

Washington State summer, Sun City AZ winter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joselake

I have my Mom's 403 and consider it vintage as it's all metal. I can do my own servicing also.

I was lucky enough to score a 1927 electric Singer 66 mounted in a large floor wooden cabinet this past Saturday at a local thrift shop. It needs a little work but with all the accessories that came with it, I just couldn't pass it up. The accessories alone are worth more than the $50.00 I paid for it. So check out those thrift stores too.

Sorry to all of you who do collect the old ones, but I spent money to get all the bells and whistles like needle down, thread cutter, fancy stitching without extra little doodads. Mine stitches just fine and straight, I don't have to adjust the tension or do much of anything to get a great quilt top. And.....I only spent $190!!! (and at Walmart) I will take my brother any day over an old one.

Once I decieded I wanted, make that needed a FW; I settled on looking for one from my birth year. Now DH wants one for his b'day and I will look for one from 1951, Cenntenial model; I have til Nov to find it.

From the discussions I have seen, it seems that the Singer Featherweight is the most desirable machine to have. Is that true? I have would like to get one, but need to decide on one model to look for. What is the definition of a Featherweight? Is there a model number or what years where they made? Any information would be helpful. thanks!

Blog Entries
    I sewed everything from canvas awnings to fine fabrics with same needle!

I use a 1941 cast iron Singer exclusively, though I have several much newer machines. My Singer never does anything stupid---like randomly break the thread in the middle of the seam by changing its own bobbin tension---and if something does go wrong, I take out the bobbin, reinsert it, completely unthread it and rethread. Problems have always been solved. I also agree with the others....they are workhorses, sentimental value for some and just a great sewing experience every time.

Blog Entries
    They are also soooooooooooo cute!!

that's right, Lavada.....don't walk...R U N! Git that there machine down and let's see what it is!! Let us know!

Blog Entries
    I will second that Oakie, the vintage site you mentioned is awesome.

Blog Entries
    I have an old Home Mark. All metal..no fancy stitches but a work horse. Love the old machines because you can do maintenance yourself. Use mine whenever I do a rag quilt. Can clean up after sewing. Computerized machines can't be cleaned. Have to send off.

From the discussions I have seen, it seems that the Singer Featherweight is the most desirable machine to have. Is that true? I have would like to get one, but need to decide on one model to look for. What is the definition of a Featherweight? Is there a model number or what years where they made? Any information would be helpful. thanks!
    a Featherweight is the most desirable if lightweight portability is your major concern. otherwise, there are a lot of models what make great stitches,worry-free, etc. 201,301,401. 15-91,99, 66, etc. there is a lot of info online,too much to state here. Educate yourself & find one for your own. most of these can be had for under $200. avoid eBay, if possible, because of the weight/shipping of
    these vintage machines. always good to try before U buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
    Sorry to all of you who do collect the old ones, but I spent money to get all the bells and whistles like needle down, thread cutter, fancy stitching without extra little doodads. Mine stitches just fine and straight, I don't have to adjust the tension or do much of anything to get a great quilt top. And.....I only spent $190!!! (and at Walmart) I will take my brother any day over an old one.
    I'll see you in ten years with my vintage Singer. bet you won't have your Brother in working order. and I do not mean this
    to be rude or mean-spirited. just the facts, Mamm.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast