Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Pink Atlas - AAZ-60 - what cams?? >

Pink Atlas - AAZ-60 - what cams??

Pink Atlas - AAZ-60 - what cams??

Old 05-27-2016, 11:54 AM

Default Pink Atlas - AAZ-60 - what cams??

Picked up this machine at a thrift store for under $15 and started taking it apart before trying to sew (had a shreaded belt and loose motor) or taking pictures. I know I have a lot of cleaning to do.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]550953[/ATTACH]

I know there has been talk of pink machines before and I had saved a manual for an Atlas machine. Alas, it was for a straight stitch Pink Atlas. This is a zig-zag machine but different than a lot of the ones I was seeing on the internet. I tried to figure out what model it was and where to find a manual for this machine. I looked and looked for a model number or name on the machine but that was before we took the motor off. John found the model number on the back of the pillar after we took the motor off to put it in the work stand. Once we figured out the model I found this - http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...wing-142559034 and http://sewing.patternreview.com/Sewi...ns/topic/85032 which seemed to indicate that it did come with 16 cams for stitches other than SS & regular ZZ. This is the cam that was in the machine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]550954[/ATTACH]

What to look for & how to verify??. . perhaps the cams would be like some shown on http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...t252968-3.html but it doesn't say which Brother machine. This is where cams would go.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]550955[/ATTACH]

And with the service lid closed

[ATTACH=CONFIG]550956[/ATTACH]

Also I'm wondering if there is a free manual for this machine somewhere?? This machine seems to be a cross between the Brother Galaxie 230 and Atlas Decorative Zig-Zag. The closest I could come was http://www.sewusa.com/Sewing_Machine...ion_Manual.htm BUT it had a service lid in a different position and no window like this one
and this http://www.sewusa.com/Sewing_Machine...ion_Manual.htm which does have the window but looks to have the feed dog drop on the pillar or at least not on the bed.

I'm not sure but I think that if the cam is not in the machine it will still ZZ but in the left homing position. With the cam in, it will be center homing.

This machine did not come with any attachments other than the ZZ foot that was on the machine and an adjustable zipper foot. The foot controller evidently was replaced at some point as it is a newer looking black one.

The motor was loose because one of the nuts on the housing broke off. It doesn't have any threads in the housing shell so will have to figure out how to reattach it so that I can put the motor mount back on correctly. ANY SUGGESTIONS??

[ATTACH=CONFIG]550957[/ATTACH]

The clutch knob was frozen. This is the tool John made and used to loosen it. He said it worked great and fairly easily.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]550958[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]550959[/ATTACH]

After taking the top off - I found out why only one oil hole in the top.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]550960[/ATTACH]

Should I take this apart and clean the wicks? I think there is another wick over by the cam lid but it is hard to see or get to.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Attached Thumbnails full822edit.jpg   cam-camewith848edit.jpg   campost841edit.jpg   camwindow833edit.jpg   motor-n-mount035.jpg  

clutchwrench022.jpg   handwheel023.jpg   2of3wicktop031.jpg  
Old 05-27-2016, 07:41 PM
Banned

Hi Janey,
I don't have an Atlas machine(yet!) so I'm probably not going to be much help but I've got a few thoughts.
I haven't seen a manual for this particular machine, but right now I'm working on the Wizard machine I got from Margaret and it's almost identical to yours except it doesn't take cams (model 3KC-8846). So you may have to expand your search to include other Brother built brands(go by picture not model), and close may be as close as you can get.
From the cam you have, and this is just a guess if I remember right, the Atlas machines had a little bigger cams than most of the Brother cams I've seen or have. There is a brown set of Brother cams that are a little bigger than the usual black cam sets but I don't know if they would work in your machine. I've only seen pics of a set of Atlas cams once and can't remember what they looked like, only that they were in a marked box. Do a google search of Atlas machines and see if a pic comes up showing a machine with its cams.
The wick thingy is similar to what some of my Brother machines have. If the wicks are hard then you should clean or replace them. Is there also a plastic oiling system, or what I call an oil rail on the under side of the machine top? My machines that have this wick also have the oil rail.

Cari
Old 05-27-2016, 08:31 PM
Power Poster

Wow... you're in way over my head!

Just wanted to say I love these pink Atlases. They remind me of old Cadillacs with their chrome everything.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Hi Janey,
I don't have an Atlas machine(yet!) so I'm probably not going to be much help ...
Oh, shucky darn.

...you may have to expand your search to include other Brother built brands(go by picture not model), ...
I don't know all the other badge names for Brother, but knowing that this Atlas was built by Brother. I did search for Brother. The Galaxie 230 is closest except for the drop feed knob on the bed. http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MID-...IAAOSw9ZdXKToK

I've only seen pics of a set of Atlas cams once and can't remember what they looked like, only that they were in a marked box. ...
What kind of "marked box"??? Most of the vintage cams just seem to say "Deluxe Zig Zag" I'm guessing that the Atlas ones would have come in a pink box, but don't know as can't seem to find a picture of an Atlas with cams. - just the Galaxie 230.

The wick thingy is similar to what some of my Brother machines have. If the wicks are hard then you should clean or replace them. Is there also a plastic oiling system, or what I call an oil rail on the under side of the machine top? My machines that have this wick also have the oil rail.
Cari
I'll try to get a better picture of the underside of the top and the wicks. I looked at it a little closer (actually removed metal piece that has the wicks coming out of it. The wicks are fairly short and a knot on the end so they don't come through.

More later,

Old 05-28-2016, 04:51 AM
Power Poster

Great find! Anxious to see when renovated!
Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
Picked up this machine at a thrift store for under $15 and started taking it apart before trying to sew (had a shreaded belt and loose motor) or taking pictures. I know I have a lot of cleaning to do.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]550953[/ATTACH]

I know there has been talk of pink machines before and I had saved a manual for an Atlas machine. Alas, it was for a straight stitch Pink Atlas. This is a zig-zag machine but different than a lot of the ones I was seeing on the internet. I tried to figure out what model it was and where to find a manual for this machine. I looked and looked for a model number or name on the machine but that was before we took the motor off. John found the model number on the back of the pillar after we took the motor off to put it in the work stand. Once we figured out the model I found this - http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...wing-142559034 and http://sewing.patternreview.com/Sewi...ns/topic/85032 which seemed to indicate that it did come with 16 cams for stitches other than SS & regular ZZ. This is the cam that was in the machine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]550954[/ATTACH]

What to look for & how to verify??. . perhaps the cams would be like some shown on http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...t252968-3.html but it doesn't say which Brother machine. This is where cams would go.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]550955[/ATTACH]

And with the service lid closed

[ATTACH=CONFIG]550956[/ATTACH]

Also I'm wondering if there is a free manual for this machine somewhere?? This machine seems to be a cross between the Brother Galaxie 230 and Atlas Decorative Zig-Zag. The closest I could come was http://www.sewusa.com/Sewing_Machine...ion_Manual.htm BUT it had a service lid in a different position and no window like this one
and this http://www.sewusa.com/Sewing_Machine...ion_Manual.htm which does have the window but looks to have the feed dog drop on the pillar or at least not on the bed.

I'm not sure but I think that if the cam is not in the machine it will still ZZ but in the left homing position. With the cam in, it will be center homing.

This machine did not come with any attachments other than the ZZ foot that was on the machine and an adjustable zipper foot. The foot controller evidently was replaced at some point as it is a newer looking black one.

The motor was loose because one of the nuts on the housing broke off. It doesn't have any threads in the housing shell so will have to figure out how to reattach it so that I can put the motor mount back on correctly. ANY SUGGESTIONS??

[ATTACH=CONFIG]550957[/ATTACH]

The clutch knob was frozen. This is the tool John made and used to loosen it. He said it worked great and fairly easily.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]550958[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]550959[/ATTACH]

After taking the top off - I found out why only one oil hole in the top.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]550960[/ATTACH]

Should I take this apart and clean the wicks? I think there is another wick over by the cam lid but it is hard to see or get to.

Old 05-28-2016, 05:11 AM

On my computer, your pink machine is a beautiful yellow. Good luck with the machine.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:31 PM
Banned

Janey,
I found a pic of the cams that a Brother Galaxy 230 takes. I can't exactly say that they will fit your Atlas, but they're bigger than the black cams that earlier Brother machines use so if you find a set it might be worth trying them.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]551809[/ATTACH]

Cari
Attached Thumbnails cams-1959-galaxy-230.jpg  
Old 06-08-2016, 11:20 AM

Janey,
I found a pic of the cams that a Brother Galaxy 230 takes. I can't exactly say that they will fit your Atlas, but they're bigger than the black cams that earlier Brother machines use so if you find a set it might be worth trying them.
Cari
Thank you, Cari. Those sure look like they would. That picture gave me better vantage point than some that I had seen for the Galaxie 230. I'll have to keep my eyes open.

Old 01-06-2022, 08:12 PM

Hello I know this is an old thread, but I just bought this very machine - and of course it is almost impossible to find out anything about it. It does have what looks like a cam cover on top, but I'm not seeing where cams would go. If you have any updated information on this machine, please let me know. Thanks!
Old 01-07-2022, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaReMe View Post
Hello I know this is an old thread, but I just bought this very machine - and of course it is almost impossible to find out anything about it. It does have what looks like a cam cover on top, but I'm not seeing where cams would go. If you have any updated information on this machine, please let me know. Thanks!
Janey still posts here and will see this post. Cari posts at victoriansweatshop.com. She's the Brother expert.
bkay