Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Please help, need information on this Grand Rotary. >

Please help, need information on this Grand Rotary.

Please help, need information on this Grand Rotary.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:15 PM

Default Please help, need information on this Grand Rotary.

I would like to know when it was made? What brand is it, is there a "Grand Rotary" brand? I can find no information on it. Any links and knowledge of it would be very much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails wp_20150422_007.jpg  
Old 04-22-2015, 10:31 PM

Hi,

Welcome to the QB. Your Grand Rotary was made by National SMCo in what I would guesstimate the 30's or 40's. Link to National pics in the Needlebar site:

http://needlebar.org/cm/index.php?cat=91

If you plan on sewing with your National Rotary you'll need Eldredge Rotary needles or Boye 21 needles and National / Eldredge round bobbins. Eldredge is a popular National brand name. With any luck you'll have needles and bobbins in the cabinet.

There is a National SMCo Yahoo group that might be able to accurately date your Grand and also have more in depth info.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/nsmco/info

This should be a very nice working treadle with little work. Good Luck and Enjoy!

Jon
Old 04-23-2015, 03:04 AM

Neat looking machine.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:48 AM

Like Jon said, this is a very common National machine, and takes National/Edredge bobbins, needles and National attachments.

it's neat that yours is in a treadle - and takes care of the "strange" method to wind the bobbin that one has with the electric models, since those most often use friction motors.

I'd love to see a few pictures of the flywheel end because it's set up as a treadle.

This is a very similar machine, from around 1935. It's the Two Spool version made by National. Notice the totally different flywheel on it. If you look at the back of your machine - does it look like a motor was ever attached to it?

And if you are looking for attachments - this is what the set looks for - notice the two square-ish plates in the lower right corner. Particularly the "s" shape at the upper end. This is what fits the National Rotary machines (and if you find one for sale with bobbins in it, it's likely they will fit too). The set for White is very similar, except that those two plates are more square and do not have that "s" extension on them. The rest of the set looks identical between them, but is not. The needle hole is in a different spot so they won't work.

Also, most of the earlier Wards machines were made by National, so if you see a set of Wards Attachments that are top clamp, chances are very, very good they will fit your machine.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:59 AM

This one I just got a few weeks ago, so it's still sitting in the hallway. Yours is going to be a newer (younger) machine. Yours is probably is from the 1930-1940 era. By then, most companies had gone to much simpler decal patterns.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:26 AM

Thank each and everyone of you for your replies! I am so excited that I know something about it now. I will include some more pictures of the accessories that came with it as well as the attachments! Please let me know about the flywheel, I find this so fascinating.
Attached Thumbnails accessories.jpg   attachments.jpg   flywheel.jpg   grand-rotary.jpg  
Old 04-23-2015, 08:09 AM

It's a lovely machine! I'd put that 3 in 1 oil away quick, though, before the others see it!
Old 04-23-2015, 01:02 PM
KLO

There are two things I really like about your machine. First, it has what looks to be some nice space between needle and right hand side to shove a quilt through. Second, the cabinet drawer "handles" look like they match the decal designs on the machine itself. Very nice!
Old 04-23-2015, 05:18 PM

I can't provide any info on your machine, but I love the Art Deco look of the decals and drawer pulls. I agree with KLO that it looks intentional that the machine and cabinet were made for each other. I also agree with Margaret that you should put that 3-in-1 far away from your machine. Enjoy your new toy and thanks for posting.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by MFord View Post
It's a lovely machine! I'd put that 3 in 1 oil away quick, though, before the others see it!
Over time 3 in 1 oil gets hardened in your machine, its no fun to degunk one. It took me forever to clean up an Singer 301 that had it. Sewing machine oil is much better for your machine.
Sharon in Texas