Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Please Join Me in Celebrating the Arrival of Little Bit

Exclamation Please Join Me in Celebrating the Arrival of Little Bit

A couple weeks ago I posted that I had won a Featherwieght on eBay. Well, she arrived Monday! She had a pretty scary trip however (the seller did a terrible job of packing her ) and she arrived a little scratched and even with a dent in her drip pan.

But, she is such a sweet littlre thing, we decided we just could not stand the thought of sending her back to someone who cared so little.

Her name is Little Bit (my mid-arm quilter is Big Girl). And, after spending a couple hours at the spa Monday night, she is much more relaxed and has started to settle in.

She was conceived in 1957, and is actually in very good condition. The scratches are mostly superfical. The only true damage is the dent in the drip pan. The man used an old shoe box and an empty cereal box as packing material. And, put NO packing material in the actual case. The attachments, foot control, thread spools, metal box, keys etc just banged around inside the case while in transit. Including one of the screws that had attached the metal box to the side of the case. and that is what got lodged under the machine and caused the damage to the drip pan. I was so angry. I did get a great deal, $152. But, the shipping was pretty high at $35 and to have them do such a shoddy job on the packing was disappointing. I contacted the seller and he was so rude (and even offensive). I know it takes all kinds to make a world..but dang couldn't we leave out just a few of the haters?

I have one concern about the machine. There is what appears to be some white, paint over-spray on part of the bed extension and on the foot control. I am going to have to figure out how to get it off. Any hints or guidance would be appreciated.

I spent a couple hours Monday night cleaning her. She was amazingly clean. There was a funny ticking sound in the bobbin area and it looked like there was some thread caught in it. So, I took that appart and cleaned it, no more ticking!! And then, I was having issues trying to set the upper thread tension, so I took that appart as well, and the tension is now perfect!! (first time I did either of those things--a little scary, but turned out fine.)

Here are some pictures.

sorry to hear you had such a bad ebay experience. like to see pictures of little bit. she is in good hands now and she knows she will be taken care of now.. enjoy

When I clicked on the attachments, they did not come up on my computer.
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

Fresh out of the box.
    Attachment 353226

Attachment 353227

Dirty Girl!
    Attachment 353228

The Dent. Those aren't scratches, I got mad and stopped mid oil wipe down to take the pictures.
    Attachment 353229

Dent Close-up
    Attachment 353230

Paint Spots
    Attachment 353231

Paint Spots on Foot Controler
    Attachment 353232

Trying to show scratches on bed of machine.
    Attachment 353233

All Clean!!
    Attachment 353234

Suze, I can't get the picture links to work. Would love to see them, and share in your joy. In any case, I hope you are going to leave this mean guy some bad feedback. Others need to know what a bad job he did, and Ebay might want to know about it, too. Hope she sews for you forever!
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

Third times the charm, right?

Fresh out of the box.

Name:  P1000166.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  99.2 KB

Dirty Girl!!
    Name:  P1000168.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  108.0 KB

The dent on the bottom.
    Name:  P1000172.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  80.4 KB

Close up of dent. Those are not scratches, I stopped mid wipe down to take the pictures.
    Name:  P1000171.jpg
Size:  72.6 KB

Paint spray on bed.
    Name:  P1000169.jpg
Size:  83.3 KB

Spray on foot pedal/
    Name:  P1000170.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  109.1 KB

Scratches on bed.
    Name:  P1000174.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  85.2 KB

All Clean!!
    Name:  P1000173.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  93.1 KB

That dent looks rather like a bullet hole.
    Sure is nice to hear of another Featherweight finding a loving home.

Probably the best thing to remove the paint is going to be a soak with sewing machine oil and gentle picking/scraping with your fingernail. Nothing sharp and no solvents.

She is beautiful. Even with the dented pan.

File a claim with ebay that it was damaged in shipping and that the seller is not being cooperative. You should receive SOME sort of credit for the damage. A new drip pan would probably be in the $30-$40 range. I'm not sure, you can google that. I received a machine in similar packing from a seller. I wonder if they're cousins! LOL. Except mine came with a coffee filter box:< I did file a negative feedback to warn others. My machine wasn't as damaged as yours. But, it was scratched. I wasn't happy and you should at least leave negative feedback about their lack of packing and rudeness.

Welcome to the FW club and enjoy you lovely little machine.
    This too shall pass.
    Janie

Blog Entries
    I am so sorry about your bad experience with Ebay. I have purchased 4 machines on Ebay and all have been packed very well and arrived with no damage. Please give feedback to warn others and file a claim with Ebay for damage. I am so glad Little Bit found a loving home. There is nothing like rescuing a vintage machine and stitching away on it! Many happy sewing hours to you and Little Bit. She is beautiful!
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

It is sew rewarding to see another Featherweight get a new home where she is appreciated. Congratulations.
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lovelyl View Post
    I am so sorry about your bad experience with Ebay. I have purchased 4 machines on Ebay and all have been packed very well and arrived with no damage. Please give feedback to warn others and file a claim with Ebay for damage. I am so glad Little Bit found a loving home. There is nothing like rescuing a vintage machine and stitching away on it! Many happy sewing hours to you and Little Bit. She is beautiful!
    It wasn't EBAY's problem but they will try to fix it if you send them the pictures just like you did here. I had a Spartan that wasn't packed very well and the seller had insurance on it. So by the time it was done I got the machine for nothing even tho the bottom was broken. I tried to glue it, but the glue I used was not the right kind. Will be looking for some heavy duty mix together stuff from the auto body store when I go to Minot next. Otherwise she is a pretty little girl. Sews really nice too. And leave negative feedback about the packing and how rude he was.

Blog Entries
    Awww, I love your machine. She was born the same year as me. I hope when I'm ready to buy I can find one made in 1957. You did a lovely job cleaning her up. Enjoy!

The Beautiful Willamette Valley In Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by LynnVT View Post
    Suze, I can't get the picture links to work. Would love to see them, and share in your joy. In any case, I hope you are going to leave this mean guy some bad feedback. Others need to know what a bad job he did, and Ebay might want to know about it, too. Hope she sews for you forever!
    I agree, this guy really needs to get bad feedback so he doesn't do this to others. I have had such great success with all the sellers I have dealt with on eBay; it is scary to think of people like him out there! I really pay attention to the feedback before I buy anything on eBay.
    Shirley
    "We shall pass this way on Earth but once; if there is any kindness we can show, or good act we can do, let us do it now, for we will never pass this way again." Stephen Grellet

I would contact Ebay and tell them about the shoddy packing and the rude seller.

Blog Entries
    She is so precious! Now get her going on a little project. They are fun to use.

Thank you everyone.

I definitely left negative feed back.

"Took week to ship,empty cereal box as packing,no packing inside case,crude langu"

I haven't filed a complaint with eBay. Maybe I will. I have never had an issue before either. I was so disappointed. Especially since the shipping costs were so high.

i see the pictiures now. she is a beauty. like the ugly duckling into a beautiful swan. i am glad she has a new loving home..

Blog Entries
    Sooooo happy for you. I know just how you feel, I just got mine about a week ago. Mine was born in 1948, lol. She was not in the best shape but I cleaned Her up and She sews beautiful. Mine has had a rough life but is now in a loving home, LOL.....I love mine and do know where there is another one for sale but they are asking $375.00 got Her. It might be worth it but my Little Louise is just fine for me and She cost me $195.00. I am looking for another one though. So my eyes are open. Good luch with Little Bit and I would report that mean man. But I believe what goes around comes around. Love your machine. enjoy Her!!!!!
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

You can also leave feedback about the seller's packaging practices. If he starts getting negative feedback, people will think twice about ordering from him...he may lose sales...he may get his act together. I always look at the feed back and take into consideration any negative comments before bidding.

I have opened a case with eBay.
    Will keep you posted.

Suze, when you are asked to do your evaluation about this seller's service on ebay, I'd be very clear about how he behaved and his reaction to your complaint. People like him need to be reported.
    Karen in Kentucky

He responded to the case this morning.

"Send it back,I will refund the minute I receive it...no compensation...I paid $350 and am loosing as it is...send it back for a refund..."

I responded that I am sorry he lost money on the deal. But, that is not the issue being discussed. The issue is the fact that he chose to do such a poor job of packing the vintage, collectable item that he described as being in immaculate condition that it was damaged in transit. It was not as he described it when I received it.

I don't want to return it. I DID get a great deal. I do feel like I am being a little greedy, but his lack of care, rudeness and unwillingness to take responsibility are frustrating.

Blog Entries
    Yes, you need to file a complaint with Ebay and let them know about the seller. I bought a featherweight and it came with all sorts of damage. Via email to the seller, they tried to make light of the damage. So, I filed a complaint with Paypal and got my money back. And I told the seller if he wanted the machine back, please make arrangements for pickup. Haven't heard back from him. Machine is still sitting in the box that wasn't closed waiting for him! Yeah, I'm still mad about it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast