Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   $5 Salvation Army find, SINGER Touch N Sew 630 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/%245-salvation-army-find-singer-touch-n-sew-630-a-t267651.html)

sewbeadit 07-17-2015 02:35 AM

I loved my touch and sew, everything about it and one day I jammed it and then the bobbin would spin and it wouldn't sew again and then it sat around for a while and when we moved it went to Goodwill. I would buy one again, it was so nice to sew on.

ManiacQuilter2 07-17-2015 06:27 AM

My father bought me a Touch and Sew when I graduated from High School in 1970. Great find. Good Luck in getting it tuned up.

Quincunx 07-17-2015 07:06 AM

I forgot to say before that you have all the parts for chainstitching. On the left side of the picture next to the T & S bobbins. The flat disc for setting on top of the bobbin case. The throat plate with an arm underneath it. The hook like chainstitch like thread guide. When the 600E got talked about I got reminded that its chainstitch manual was a separate book. See whether the 630 manual covers it or whether you need the separate general Touch & Sew chainstitch manual too.

tlpa 07-17-2015 10:04 AM

This model machine got me back in to sewing, so I have a soft spot for it. I had something else that was a nightmare to use and basically caused me to stop sewing for about 15 years. Bought this model at a garage sale for $20 which included the table and all the contents (threads, stabilizers, zippers, scissors...it was stuffed full!). I absolutely loved this machine!! Went through anything I gave it with never any problems.....I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread! I used it until it imploded. I guess it taught me that my early hassles were due to the awful machine I had (probably a lemon), and it wasn't due to my ineptitude. I have been happily sewing ever since.

barny 07-17-2015 10:47 AM

I have a touch and sew. I got it new in the 60's I think. I've kept it cleaned and oiled, and lubed all this time. It's still my go to machine. We didn't have money to buy the cabinet, so I found one for $5 and hubby painted it and we have drug it around all these years.LOL I'm afraid to say plastic gears, afraid they will hear me.

foufymaus 07-17-2015 06:06 PM

quick random off topic question, can the chain stitch adapter fot the ts 630 work with a 401?

Quincunx 07-17-2015 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by foufymaus (Post 7260089)
quick random off topic question, can the chain stitch adapter fot the ts 630 work with a 401?

I want to say no because the 411G does not use these pieces for chainstitching. It uses a false bobbin that is plastic with the moving arm attached to the top of it. Does a 400 class Singer needle plate go up to cover the feed dogs to darn? The 600 series needle plates do and the chainstitching plate with arm attached is clipped into place on those posts that raise the needle plate.

purplefiend 07-17-2015 07:35 PM

My Mom had a Golden T & Sew#758. I hated that machine! It was always jamming.

quilt938 07-17-2015 07:59 PM

awesome find! i've never found super bargain like this but it's fun reading when others do! at a quilt show today the antique sewing machine shop was there with a booth and had $20 mystery boxes - I bought 2 - one before lunch and one after lunch- and got lace and crafty kind of stuff in both (some others had gotten metal boxes, aprons, kitchen do dads..other vintage stuff) but the big price was a ticket for a free sewing machine - an Admiral. pretty thing! my friend kept hesitating but It alked her into it and gave her the $2 she was short - and guess who won?! she was tickled I think! her hubby probably wasn't since he was likely the one gonna haul it in the house and it's heavy!!

miriam 07-18-2015 02:39 AM

LINK: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...y-t232536.html
Check out the link just for fun. The original 'ad' is gone but I think it has been copied and pasted later in the thread. Yes it is a controversial machine. I actually like some of the T&S machines. The 401 and the 500 are better made but don't do chain stitch unless it is a 401G or a 411G or some other - there is a little hook on the bobbin carrier for the 411G