Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   1/4" foot on 401 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/1-4-foot-401-a-t235799.html)

masufa 11-30-2013 10:01 PM

1/4" foot on 401

I'm having trouble getting my 1/4" foot to stay on my 401 machine, no matter how tight I make the screw after about 20 minutes of sewing the screw loosens up and the foot falls of when I raise the needle bar.

Jassinc6 12-01-2013 04:11 AM

Have you tried just using the AK3 throat plate with the markings. I use it and the first marking (3) is good for a 1/4" guide IMO. They're easy enough to find, if you don't have one.

J Miller 12-01-2013 05:40 AM

masufa,

Check the fit of the presser foot to the shaft. I've got some that are just not right enough that they won't stay tight.
I've had to use a screw driver to crank the screw tight.

Another thing you can do is buy one of the fabric guides that screw to the bed and then just use the regular foot.

Joe

sjdal 12-01-2013 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 6432489)
masufa,

Check the fit of the presser foot to the shaft. I've got some that are just not right enough that they won't stay tight.
I've had to use a screw driver to crank the screw tight.

Another thing you can do is buy one of the fabric guides that screw to the bed and then just use the regular foot.

Joe

Nova Montgomery has a great seam guide. It spans the entire bed, from front to back, and is approx 5 inches wide. It attaches in two points, so doesn't turn or slide. It does need a small hex key for the attachment screws.

J Miller 12-01-2013 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by sjdal (Post 6432837)
Nova Montgomery has a great seam guide. It spans the entire bed, from front to back, and is approx 5 inches wide. It attaches in two points, so doesn't turn or slide. It does need a small hex key for the attachment screws.

Hmmmm, now that's an interesting fabric guide. I wouldn't mind hearing a report from somebody here that's used one.

Joe

sjdal 12-01-2013 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 6432925)
Hmmmm, now that's an interesting fabric guide. I wouldn't mind hearing a report from somebody here that's used one.

Joe

I have used it and love it. I always had trouble getting everything lined up with the small ones that screw on. I also don't like the magnetic ones because of possible scratching of the paint.

misseva 12-02-2013 07:01 PM

I use Bonnie Hunter's method. Use a cut up credit card & a Command strip for a guide. You can find instructions at quiltville.com under hints tab at top. Command strips leave no residue when you want to remove them.

masufa 12-02-2013 08:06 PM

using the marking on the throat plate won't work when making 1/2 square triangles for quilting because the fabric would cover the plate. Thanks for you help

masufa 12-02-2013 08:07 PM

How would I check the fit of the foot?

masufa 12-02-2013 08:09 PM

I will have to check this out it would be good when sewing 1/4" seams, however as I stated before something like this won't work when sewing a marking in the middle of a square of fabric as the fabric will cover the guide.