Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   10 Vintage Machines....what am I to do with them ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/10-vintage-machines-what-am-i-do-them-t166528.html)

Wanabee Quiltin 11-06-2011 08:29 AM

10 Vintage Machines....what am I to do with them ?

I just love vintage sewing machines and since I had 4 grandchildren who liked to sew, I would buy Singer vintage sewing machines when I found a good deal. When I say vintage, I mean 1909 to 1952,(not sure about the Pfaff). I ended up buying 8 of the Singers, one Pfaff 51 and one Precision. All of these are metal and mostly weigh a ton. I even have a hand crank Singer. From what I remember, they all sew fine. I have 3-4 cases and 4 cabinets. So now, the grandkids are all teenagers and don't want to sew. I told DH it was time to clean them up, check them out and make sure they are okay to sell. But where should I sell them? I am thinking of going to the World's Longest Yard Sale next year and putting them next to the RV to sell. With our generator, we can guarantee they work. A friend said they are so beautiful, just having them sit in the LR would be great for many people. But I don't have the space for that. If I did, I would pick a treadle. I thought of selling them online either here on the board or on eBay, but postage for these must be astronomical. Any ideas would be appreciated. I hope this is the right forum for what I have posted.

quiltinghere 11-06-2011 08:34 AM

maybe someone on the board lives 'near' you and would love to travel a bit in order to buy Just the Right sewing machine. Good luck

jaciqltznok 11-06-2011 08:39 AM

you might do better on Craigslist than on ebay..but they do sell well on ebay. Shipping is relative really...people who WANT machines understand that shipping is going to be a huge part of the price! I like the longest yard sale idea, but people who do that sale are looking for things really CHEAP so they can resell them on ebay...so might as well start out on ebay!

ShirlinAZ 11-06-2011 08:43 AM

Don't rush to get rid of them all. When your grandkids are past the terrible teens they may remember that they loved to sew, and since they will need a sanity break from the work world they might decide they need sewing machines! At least that's what I went through. Select the best and hang on to them a little longer. Let me know what if any you are taking to Quartzsite.

AngieS 11-06-2011 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ (Post 4640967)
Don't rush to get rid of them all. When your grandkids are past the terrible teens they may remember that they loved to sew, and since they will need a sanity break from the work world they might decide they need sewing machines! At least that's what I went through. Select the best and hang on to them a little longer. Let me know what if any you are taking to Quartzsite.

I kind of agree here. They may come back to it then you won't have these awesome machines. :) I wish my Mamaw would have had the machines that she probably had years back. I didn't get into the love of the machine until this past year and I am 35. ;)

fluffygirl 11-07-2011 11:24 AM

I was thinking the same as Shirley and Angie. Maybe you can hold on to the best ones or your favorites for now. I got my first vintage machine (a 99-13) from my grandmother when I was 16 and wouldn't take anything for it now. My sister keeps trying to get it from me, but no way!

Pat

miriam 11-08-2011 02:04 AM

I would agree - wait until they are a little older. I'm doing that too. I have a Singer 15 clone I'm holding on to for my DGD. She just isn't ready for it.

wvdek 11-08-2011 04:29 AM

I agree with Shirley and Angie. It was my first thought. I loved my grandmas treadle as a kid, hated it as a teen, and when i was in my 30's, wished I had it, found out my sis did, asked her for it, she sold it for $30 cuz she needed the money.
If you really cannot keep them around, sell on e-bay and price accordingly for S & H. Check the prices out on e-bay so you have an idea. Also, prepare one for shipping like you would like it to be packed if you had bought it, take to PO and have weighed/insurance (if you want), and set your price. Add a little for the shipping materials, it is only fair you do so. Don't be too hasty getting rid of them.

traumaRN 11-08-2011 06:37 AM

My mother was a beautiful seamstress who also made Barbie doll clothes and sold them. She was very accomplished and I had the best sewing teacher around the entire time I was growing up and didn't care about sewing at all until I had children of my own and realized how fun it was to make matching outfits and such. My point is don't hold it against the teenagers if they have no interest (yet). I would hold on to those machines awhile until the kids are fully grown.

jljack 11-08-2011 09:03 AM

If you want to sell them, sell them!! I appreciate everyone's advice here, but it's your house and your machines. There are a bunch of vintage machine collectors on here, so you can try posting them on here for sale. We all understand the shipping costs. Then Craigslist, then eBay. Be reasonable with your prices and people are going to buy them. Good luck!! But, all that being said, I would select a couple to keep to pass on....those kids do grow up into adult women who will come to appreciate them. :)