Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   1866 Weed Letter to Singer Regarding Howe License and patent use. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/1866-weed-letter-singer-regarding-howe-license-patent-use-t260466.html)

SteveH 01-28-2015 07:54 PM

1866 Weed Letter to Singer Regarding Howe License and patent use.

1 Attachment(s)
It never ceases to amaze me what comes up for sale on the auction site...

This was listed as a "1866 Letter-WFFD Sewing Machine Company" letter

Once I started reading I just made my bid and hoped....

NOBODY else bid so I got this for under $10 (including shipping)!!!!!

The penmanship is amazing.

(I will scan it in the morning)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]508047[/ATTACH]

Rodney 01-29-2015 03:22 AM

Very cool! It's amazing what survives when it comes to paper. What is that? 1 year after the Civil War? Now if only my eyes were good enough to read it.
Rodney

Macybaby 01-29-2015 06:14 AM

Neat! Especially when you have machines of that era too (Weed and Singer)

ThayerRags 01-29-2015 07:26 AM

Nice old document.

CD in Oklahoma

SteveH 01-29-2015 09:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The cool folks on Needlebar are helping to read it also.

"Singer Mnfg Co,

Gentlemen, In accordance with Sct 8 of the licence granted us by Howe et al to build sewing machines under certain Patents, we(?) have produced a machine, specimen of which has this day been sent you by Adams express for your approval, which please send us as early as practicable & oblige.
Yours Very Truly,
(?)
Secy (Secretary)"

Is the current thought.

Here is a clean scan.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]508079[/ATTACH]

and when we turned it over we saw that there is the "Ghost" of another document stained into the back!!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]508080[/ATTACH]

Cogito 01-29-2015 11:00 AM

Art. For Article 8 vs. Section
License not licence.....if we are going to be precise. :)
(JL or S)? CLARK.....could also be FL.....pretty confident about CLARK

Jeanette Frantz 01-29-2015 03:55 PM

Steve, you find the coolest things!

Jeanette

maviskw 01-30-2015 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Cogito (Post 7068939)
Art. For Article 8 vs. Section
License not licence.....if we are going to be precise. :)
(JL or S)? CLARK.....could also be FL.....pretty confident about CLARK

I agree with the Art. But the name could be L.S. something. The last letter certainly could be a "t". That's the way the t was made in "Art." Sometimes letters were made differently back then.

Cogito 01-30-2015 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw (Post 7069738)
I agree with the Art. But the name could be L.S. something. The last letter certainly could be a "t". That's the way the t was made in "Art." Sometimes letters were made differently back then.

Yes they were. The more I look at it the more I think it is probably FL. I stand by CLARK. He did the downstroke of the k and continued it under the name. "T's" as illustrated in the "art" often ended with that small upstroke on the end.

maviskw 01-30-2015 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Cogito (Post 7069750)
Yes they were. The more I look at it the more I think it is probably FL. I stand by CLARK. He did the downstroke of the k and continued it under the name. "T's" as illustrated in the "art" often ended with that small upstroke on the end.

Yes, my husband makes his F like that - with the bottom going around backwards. But that would be a lower case F, and I doubt there would be a lower case F there. That makes it an "L".