Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   1883 Singer with hide-away table (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/1883-singer-hide-away-table-t234990.html)

Shaw 11-18-2013 09:41 AM

1883 Singer with hide-away table

1 Attachment(s)
Recently purchased this Antique Singer Sewing Machine, the Catalogue # B. R. 7. and a check on the Singer website for identifying production years, for numbers only with no letter prefx, this one falls between the number 5494000 to 6004999 , Serial # 5996569 , made in 1883 . Photo wiill be included .

This one may have been electrified with a motor because it runs on AC/DC current. Would appreciate any information members can provide on this Singer Sewing machine from this era, and what they are selling for in Ontario Canada today.

SteveH 11-18-2013 10:11 AM

Shaw,

Welcome to the board.

May I suggest you post a picture of the serial number?
It is odd that it is in a cabinet that was patented in 1885 if the serial actually points to 1883.

We love to help solve these little mysteries.

Steve

Candace 11-18-2013 10:17 AM

I guess I don't understand...if you just bought it, doesn't the price you paid tell you what they're going for in your area?

J Miller 11-18-2013 11:01 AM

Shaw,

Welcome to QB forum.

The B.R.7 number is the motor number. Your machine is probably a Model 127 with the Sphinx decals by the looks of it.
It is an electrified treadle machine as the cabinet is a treadle cabinet with the big wheel, foot pedal, and associated parts removed.

The serial number on the machine is stamped on the machined area on the bed directly in front of the vertical pillar.
With the entire serial number, letters and numbers, I doubt you'll find it's as old as you think.

Joe

Macybaby 11-18-2013 06:25 PM

It sure looks like a 127, Singer made this model from 1913 to 1940.

I can assure you this machine was not made as early as 1883 - they look quite different.

it's quite common for people to look up the serial number wrong, either reading it wrong or finding the wrong number on the machine to look up.

manicmike 11-18-2013 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby (Post 6412472)
it's quite common for people to look up the serial number wrong, either reading it wrong or finding the wrong number on the machine to look up.

I third that: High bobbin winder + sphinx decals = 127. That cabinet is definitely 20th century. Never seen a motor that will run on both AC and DC current, too. All seems wrong. Drawers are way too plain, while I'm at it.
Steve's idea of posting a pic of the serial number is a good idea, if you can get it.

ThayerRags 11-19-2013 03:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by manicmike (Post 6412728)
...High bobbin winder + sphinx decals = 127.
That cabinet is definitely 20th century.
Never seen a motor that will run on both AC and DC current.

Hi Mike,

I agree that the cabinet looks 20th Century, but the high BW statement won’t always hold up if the machine has been modified, especially if it’s been electrified. And many, if not most, early motors marketed in the USA were marked for both AC & DC voltage.

Here’s a couple of photos of an upgraded (electrified) 1904 Singer Model 27 and it’s motor.

CD in Oklahoma

mlmack 11-19-2013 04:23 AM

Electricity is great, but if I were buying a treadle-able machine, in a treadle cabinet, I would have wanted the pertinent treadle parts to still be with the base.

manicmike 11-19-2013 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags (Post 6412783)
Hi Mike,

I agree that the cabinet looks 20th Century, but the high BW statement won’t always hold up if the machine has been modified, especially if it’s been electrified. And many, if not most, early motors marketed in the USA were marked for both AC & DC voltage.

Here’s a couple of photos of an upgraded (electrified) 1904 Singer Model 27 and it’s motor.

CD in Oklahoma

OK CD (hee hee, yes I meant that). Even if it were a modified 27, Singer did not make the 27 until 1891. So I'd think that if the serial number is obviously wrong, I'd need to find out what it really is.
Now I'm also wondering how they got a motor to work with both AC and DC current...

Evidence still seems strongest that it's a 127.

ThayerRags 11-19-2013 05:56 AM

It probably is a 127, I’d need to see more of the machine at least, or get the serial number like was mentioned.

I just wanted to share a photo of a machine that fooled me, even though I had it in my hands. The low bobbin winder lug that had been molded into the machine housing had been carefully ground off, and the existing bobbin winder was raised to an aftermarket belt guard that was designed for just that purpose. The upgrade parts were available to independent sewing machine shops during the 40s and 50s. A numbered upper tension nut was added along with a long collar disc hand wheel, also available just to upgrade a Singer model 27, and the machine was repainted and decaled.

It made me start taking a second look at any 127 that I see.

CD in Oklahoma