Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   The 1910 Red Eye has arrived from eBay! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/1910-red-eye-has-arrived-ebay-t232491.html)

heljoy50 10-14-2013 10:40 PM

The 1910 Red Eye has arrived from eBay!

2 Attachment(s)
I was disappointed in the condition of the machine, the photos on eBay had been taken in full sun which made the decals appear much brighter. In the second photo you may be able to see the pin of the thread tensioner which is a small nail! I have ordered the whole tension assembly from the US and maybe this old neglected and abused Singer will be sewing again.
Does this model require a rubber ring on the bobbin winder wheel? It is much larger than my other later model 66 back clamp.
I will post more photos when I have got her going and installed in a treadle cabinet.

quiltingcandy 10-14-2013 10:59 PM

I am sorry it wasn't in better condition. Hope you put a report on the seller so others will know to be aware.

miriam 10-15-2013 02:13 AM

It looks like a well used machine to me.
The first picture with the tension should be how they were made. Inside little post does look like a nail.

manicmike 10-15-2013 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by heljoy50 (Post 6349705)
Does this model require a rubber ring on the bobbin winder wheel? It is much larger than my other later model 66 back clamp.

Yes it does. What do you mean by "it's larger"? The winder wheel?

heljoy50 10-15-2013 06:45 PM

Manicmike-yes, the actual wheel is larger than the one on the Lotus 66

Miriam, it is a nail complete with head! The seller did not state that the machine was working, I was hoping it was!

manicmike 10-16-2013 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by heljoy50 (Post 6351360)
Manicmike-yes, the actual wheel is larger than the one on the Lotus 66

I spent today cleaning and lubricating my new (a week ago) redeye: Mine has a smaller wheel than the lotus. Guess that means there are two sizes (luckily had a smaller tyre handy).
Do you have an OSMG? They often have bits like tensioners.

miriam 10-16-2013 01:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've cleaned up bad looking Redeye machines.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]441579[/ATTACH]

miriam 10-16-2013 01:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Glenn was here and we messed around with his method:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]441580[/ATTACH]
I have some more polishing to do on it still - that is not done yet. No, it is not going to ever look original but it will be serviceable. The rust does come off. And it does make a stitch. What more can I ask?

Nell Dwyer 10-16-2013 08:48 AM

She is beautiful in any condition-her name should be Matilda-she is old

heljoy50 10-17-2013 06:30 AM

I have been cleaning, polishing and oiling the red eye, just starting to reassemble all the bits and pieces, hopefully in the correct places! Then just have to wait for the thread tension assembly to arrive from the US to try her out. I have been searching for larger rubber tyres on the internet. I am putting her into the treadle cabinet to work the oil through everything, there is no boss to attach a handcrank to.

Miriam, your red eye came up lovely. I have wanted a red eye for ages and now I have one I am happy, even though she is well worn she is still beautiful, looking forward to hopefully get her sewing.