Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   1916 singer (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/1916-singer-t298980.html)

SherB 08-18-2018 09:20 AM

1916 singer

I have found for $100. Should I buy. Is in reasonably good condition and in the table. All parts. No belt.

WIChix 08-18-2018 10:10 AM

Treadle? If so, inspect the castings closely for cracks. All wheels there? Drawer pulls? Does the handwheel turn freely? Sewing machine oil (head) and Howard's feed n wax will do most of the freshening up.

Has it been listed long? I'd probably offer $75, if I liked it and all the bits were there.

SherB 08-18-2018 10:18 AM

Thanks. I’m going to see it now. And now I know what to look for. My first!!!!!

Mickey2 08-18-2018 11:36 AM

The price is all right, especially if it's intact, and in nice, usable condition. I have always expected a good clean up and oiling with the machines I have bought. A missing belt is minor and easy to replace. If it's a back clamp model it's a pluss if it comes with a few accessories. They can take a bit longer to find, at least at the right price. There is a converter for back clamp to basic side clamp (low shank) feet and attatchment and in itself not a problem.

leonf 08-20-2018 08:15 AM

sooooo. Did you get it? pics?

SherB 08-21-2018 05:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]599870[/ATTACH] Yes I did! I’m now trying to figure out how to clean it up and use it. Any help out there for me.

SherB 08-21-2018 05:16 PM

How do I find out what model this machine is?

WIChix 08-21-2018 05:40 PM

You brought home a nice 66 with red-eye or Redhead decals. It looks like it takes back clamp feet. Is the needle bar and clamp there in front of the foot bar?

Vacuum it out, clean the lint from behind or under the face plate, rear inspection plate, and under the needle bar plate. Clean off the feed dogs (don't remove them).

You can download a manual from ismacs, it will have a diagram for oiling. Use good sewing machine oil, not 3 in 1 oil.

The head looks in pretty fine shape, the wear on the bed indicates it was sewn with and should be well broken in (smooth). Sewing machine oil does a great job cleaning the head, too.

SherB 08-21-2018 09:44 PM

I have learned it is a model 66, treadle, manufactured in New Jersey in 1916. The mechanism is very smooth, the castings were in great condition, all the parts are there, including the original belt and the manual! The wheels are there and in good shape. This machine has been stored well, used, but not for a long time. I Have superficially cleaned it up but I need to get a new belt and the only thing I can’t locate in the box of accessories is the thread spool pin. The inside of the machine was lint free and spotless. I haven’t touched it with water or cleaning solvents. Just sewing machine oil and an old t-shirt. My fingers are sore from rubbing but it is shining up nicely. I’m very excited! I am having difficulty putting the bobbin cover on. It was in the box of accessories. Any suggestions?

smokeythecat 08-21-2018 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by SherB (Post 8114590)
I am having difficulty putting the bobbin cover on. It was in the box of accessories. Any suggestions?

You have to put it on from right to left to get the springy pieces to fit into their slots