Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   1928 Singer (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/1928-singer-t197973.html)

ssgirly 08-18-2012 12:39 PM

1928 Singer

I just bought a 1928 Singer on an impulse buy and I'm wondering if anyone knows how much they are worth? The machine is in very good (or better) condition and works, although it is missing the bobbin and instruction manual. If anyone knows anything about these machines I would love some info. Serial number starts with AB. Thanks!

Skyangel 08-18-2012 01:13 PM

Hey Jaime, do you know what model it is? Can you post a picture? No one can tell you value, so much depends on your location and the supply there and who wants one. Then for the machine itself it's condition (mechanical and cosmetic), case or cabinet, attachments and manual, ect.

I have my grandmother's 1928 66-6, it is an AC number. If it wasn't my grandmother's, I wouldn't pay $20 for it, it was stuck solid and had nothing with it, and it is in a 50's era case. I was able to research and buy the correct attachment set and manual on ebay. It takes someone who appreciates the craftsmanship of these vintage machines to want them. They are usually easily self-maintained and keep working for many generations.

I'm sure you can locate your missing manual and bobbins are available from Sew-Classic or other online suppliers. Oil her up and try her out!

Kim

ssgirly 08-18-2012 01:14 PM

Also, it is missing the rest of the accessories. It has the cover, a needle, the face plates, and the lube, but that's it. I gather it is a 99 13.

ssgirly 08-18-2012 01:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks Kim-
I know there are a lot of variables, I was just wondering what these things might be worth. Like I said, it works, has a needle, foot, its plates, some lube, and the case with key. I'm not seeing too much else in the way of accessories. Also, mine reads as an AC number, I was mistaken in the first post.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]356396[/ATTACH]

Yooper32 08-20-2012 04:28 AM

I paid $23 for my black 66, on Ebay plus shipping, but that was just the head. I had a cabinet to put her in. You won't find a machine that makes a nicer stitch than a 66, in MHO.

Charlee 08-20-2012 06:07 AM

You do have a model 99... :) Is the kneebar there? (fits into the little hole on the front of the case to run the machine)

greywuuf 08-20-2012 06:52 AM

Looks like a very nice 99 as well, I am betting it will clean up nicely. I realy like the 3/4 size machines... some here do not saying they are too heavy ( they are compared to the FW) but I think that is part of their charm, keeps em from wandering around on the table and i dont feel like I can break it ;-)

Janis 08-25-2012 08:39 PM

Jaime, I think you will really like your 99-13. I also have a 1928 99-13 and they are so quiet. You can get the bobbins for it from sew-classic. Sew-classic also has the manual for the 99 that you can download for free: www.sew-classic.com/uploads/99K.pdf
The low shank attachments for your machine are quite easy to come by. I have gotten some at flea markets and antique stores. Your local sewing machine repairman might have some too. Good luck with your machine. Don't use anything harsh on her cleaning her up. Sewing machine oil on a cotton ball works great!

nygal 09-08-2012 08:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]361230[/ATTACH]I rescued the sister to your machine last night while I was dropping off a bag of clothes to the Goodwill store!! I happened to ask the lady if they had any vintage machines and was not expecting the response she gave me. She said "Yes, just that one OVER THERE". When I turned to see it I knew right away it was there just waiting for me. I named her Bella. She came with a big, ugly sewing cabinet. It has the kneebar in the case. The picture was taken even before I got to dust her off I was so excited!!

thepolyparrot 09-08-2012 12:45 PM

Is it a 99? I thought the stitch length knob was like a 66's - didn't the 99 have a rectangular panel with a stitch-length lever that goes up and down in the middle of it? Or was that only on the later model 99's?

I LOVE this style of decal and this is one of the few machines still left on my wish list. :)