Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   1933 Singer Featherweight Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/1933-singer-featherweight-sewing-machine-t315025.html)

Suziqtx 04-08-2021 08:36 AM

1933 Singer Featherweight Sewing Machine

Hi quilters, I just inherited a 1933 Singer Featherweight Sewing Machine. I was told that serious quilters may be interested in it. I have never tried attempted the artistry of quilting. Where should I post this machine for sale? I know I will never use it. It was my Great Aunt's and after she died my mother received it and had it cleaned and adjusted, but as far as I know, it has never been used since. It has the original paper manual, a foot pedal and a lot of attachments. It has a relatively new case/
The model number stamped on the bottom begins with AD54xxxx. If anyone can tell me more about this machine, I would love your feedback! Thank you, Suzi

Tartan 04-08-2021 09:08 AM

Check out the site TheFeatherweightShop to get an idea of value. Since they are so light, many quilters bring them to workshops and are highly sought after.

juliasb 04-08-2021 09:57 AM

The Featherweight Shop is the place to go to get info on your machine. They were very helpful when I got my first FW. I bought a second one and felt much better about it, more confident. They also have a ton of YouTube videos available to help you out with it

cashs_mom 04-08-2021 10:21 AM

Welcome to QB! I'm in Texas too! I'm in the Houston area. I have a couple Featherweights and I agree with checking out the Featherweight Shop. You can find a lot of info about your machine there. Values can fluctuate with the market and the condition of the machine. Scratches, rust, missing decals all detract from the value.

If you are in the Houston area and want to sell, send me a private message and I can check around with some of the quilters in my guild to see if any are interested.

FoggyButFocused 04-08-2021 10:35 AM

I have two Featherweights (FW). Value is hard to assign because there are several factors to consider. I think the biggest factors are condition of the machine AND the case. No case significantly decreases the value. The machines came with a set of feet as well, they should all be there. I think there is more demand for the scroll faceplate (which you probably have). The bobbin case is another big expense to replace if one is missing.

I can only speak for myself, but I prefer selling locally through Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace, with cash, at a lower price than deal with shipping and collecting the money online.

Sew Girl 2 04-08-2021 10:55 AM

Once you get a price, you can sell it on "sewitsforsale". I have 8 featherweights and most of them were about $350 and up if they are in good shape. If the gold hasn't wore, the case is in good shape with no smell and the foot are with it. I would think it would easily bring about $400 up.

Suziqtx 04-09-2021 05:57 AM

Thank you........who knew? Not me. A "Featherweight Shop". I will definitely check that out.
Suzi

Suziqtx 04-09-2021 06:03 AM

Thank you all for the good info! I would like to post some pictures. I'm not sure how. The image button above this message box asked for a URL, and the pictures will just be on my computer, not a website. I would appreciate a "How to" do this.
Thank you for the info about Featherweight Shop, Craig's List and Facebook Marketplace. You have given me some avenues to investigate.

Watson 04-09-2021 07:30 AM

To post a pic, click "Go Advanced" below the comment box, then click the Paperclip above the comment box. That will take you to a place to upload your photos. Do all the photos you want to upload and then scroll right and you will see an Upload button. Click that.
Pictures that are too big won't upload and it will tell you so. For those, you have to re-size them and try again.

I bought my FW off of Kijiji for $175.00 and in is in great condition with the case. Prices vary between areas.
On the Featherweight site, there is a place to enter the serial number and it will tell you what year and where it was made.

Watson

Suziqtx 04-10-2021 05:28 AM

Thank you Watson!