Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   1948 Domestic Rotary Electric Sewing Machine Series 153 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/1948-domestic-rotary-electric-sewing-machine-series-153-a-t310576.html)

KatSan1218 04-14-2020 06:20 PM

1948 Domestic Rotary Electric Sewing Machine Series 153

5 Attachment(s)
Hi all. I'm new to this page. Thanks for letting me join.

I was hoping to be able to help out a family member. She currently has this sewing machine in her home and has had it for years but doesn't need it. Comes with the manual and certificate of authenticity.

She lives in Beloit, WI. I've attached a few pics.

Does anyone know where we might be able to post it or list it for sale? I'd appreciate any leads or resources? Thanks so much.

Kathy

WIChix 04-15-2020 12:49 AM

Facebook and Craigslist Marketplace come to mind. Letgo, OfferUp.

leonf 04-15-2020 07:36 AM

Under the handwheel is a serial #. Does it start with MG?

KatSan1218 04-15-2020 03:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I just asked her and she says she doesn't see any numbers on it. But she has pic of the manual and certificate of authenticity. She sent me pics of both.

KatSan1218 04-16-2020 09:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay so she sent me another pic this morning. I asked her for closer ups. She saw an MG. What does MG mean? Here is a pic of it.

leonf 04-16-2020 10:16 AM

That's what I was hoping you might find. Your machine is cast magnesium and not cast iron. It makes it just a bit lighter to carry.

Unfortunately Domestics and Whites don't have the fan base that Singers do. Most folks on this board don't know about the magnesium. If I were looking for one I may pay $5.00 more for the MG. I already have one though and don't really use it.

KatSan1218 04-16-2020 10:44 AM

Thanks so much. That's good to know. In terms of pricing though what should we put it at? She's not looking to price gauge anyone. We just need to get it out of the house to make room. I posted it on both craigslist and facebook but not sure where people look for sewing machines. And we also have no idea what price to put it at.

Again, thanks for the input.

leonf 04-17-2020 10:35 AM

Terrible question to answer. Location, condition, desires of both buyer and seller, Covid and chicken entrails all combine here. I have too many machines right now so I wouldn't give $50.00 for it if it was next door. Your mileage mat vary

KatSan1218 04-18-2020 02:24 PM

Thank you for your input. This is good to know. Please let me know of any other sites that might be good to post her on. Again, thank you.

femathlete97 12-30-2020 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by KatSan1218 (Post 8377993)
I just asked her and she says she doesn't see any numbers on it. But she has pic of the manual and certificate of authenticity. She sent me pics of both.

It is a Model 153mg, Domestic Rotary. It is the Rolls Royce of sewing machines. While the parts were manufactured, the sewing machines were manually assembled and went through extensive human testing before each one was sold.
They are also silver-plated, making them more valuable because of the metal.

It is a beautiful machine, I hope it finds a home with someone who will continue to use as it should last another 100 years if maintained.