Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   1948 Singer 66-16 Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/1948-singer-66-16-sewing-machine-t61015.html)

leatheflea 08-23-2010 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Hello!!!

Hey you found a really nice Singer 66 and I have always liked that decal pattern. First we need to see what year it is from the serial number and that will help me be able to see how many of those were allotted and where it was in the allotment.

As far as the price I would always try to talk them down since there are millions of 66's out there to be had. The cabinet is a really nice one, I like how the front open to get to the machine. I see the accessories and looks to have several bobbins and the lampshade is the silver thingy beside the bobbins in their case.

This machine has the back tack feature and is a very handy thing to have as we all know. The feed dogs will not drop on the machine to FMQ but you can find the reproduction darning plates for around $10 and use that to cover the feed dogs. I think it is worth the money for sure and if you see it and fall in love with it then go for it!!

Before you get to far into using the machine make sure to check the wiring and if it needs rewiring then take that into the price and talk them down even more. You do not need to be electrocuted. If you need the machine serviced I can handle that along with the rewiring if you feel uncomfortable about doing it yourself.

But the machine looks to be in wonderful condition and I say lets go get it!!!

Billy

Thanks for all your advice and knowledge Billy. I've not had a chance to get my hands on it yet. Going tomarrow to take her for a test drive. Wish me luck!

Windwalker 08-23-2010 06:09 PM

We purchase one similar, the cabinets are identical. We gave $45.00 for ours and I've been doing some sewing with it. I would make a slightly lower offer and see what happens.

Annaquilts 08-23-2010 09:16 PM

Nice but I would think $45-$75 or so. Still it has many parts. If you want it and it runs good get it.

raptureready 08-24-2010 06:30 AM

Offer $50 if it works and then haggle. The cabinet is different but the machine looks like the one I sew on if I'm sewing downstairs. Here lately I've been using it all the time and I love it.

schwanton 08-24-2010 11:31 AM

I think it looks good. I love the cabinet. I am cleaning a Singer 66 circa 1929. I am using Billy's tutorial - the cabinet is being stripped. I paid $30 - but for $100 and no work I would have considered buying yours!

Dingle 08-24-2010 08:02 PM

Well, what happened? Did you get it?

trueimage 09-08-2010 05:39 PM

????? Did you buy this machine?

bannie 01-18-2011 03:11 AM

Just like mine but diffeent cabinet. great little machines. bannie

kwendt 01-19-2011 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Hey you found a really nice Singer 66 and I have always liked that decal pattern.

This machine has the back tack feature and is a very handy thing to have as we all know. The feed dogs will not drop on the machine to FMQ but you can find the reproduction darning plates for around $10 and use that to cover the feed dogs. I think it is worth the money for sure and if you see it and fall in love with it then go for it!!

Billy

I have the 66-6 and didn't realize it's got the backtack feature (I haven't opened it and started using it yet. Have to rearrange some furniture first.) My cabinet is the 40, plainer than the one pictured. That's a real nice cabinet!!! I'd go for it if it's minty.

Billy... where can I get those plates to cover the feed dogs? I want to buy some... and what do I need for a foot to FMQ on the 66-6?

Thanks!