Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   1950 Singer in cabinet (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/1950-singer-cabinet-t204809.html)

Marilyn Philips 11-04-2012 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki (Post 5634894)
Millie,

Are where any letters before the serial number? And can you post a picture?

Cathy

:)Mizkaki and Cathy:

Today I finally got the machine out of the car. Discovered I had wrong serial number. Correct number is 493519. I also found that it was made in China. I checked into "mysingerstory.com" which provided a certificate that this number was issued in 1851-1870. The decorations on the machine depict Egyptian pharoh and scenery. There are no letters before the serial number and per www.sewalot.com/dating_singer_sewing_machine_by_serial_number.htm and prefix letters were not added up to 1900 and came from several factories around the world. Boy this stuff is confusing.

Millie

Marilyn Philips 11-13-2012 06:21 PM

Cathy: No letter in front of serial number. The design on the machine is a sphinx and it was made in China.

Mizkaki 11-13-2012 07:40 PM

Millie,

There is something not quite right here. Singer was not making machines in China in the 1800s and they weren't using the sphinx decals until 1891. Why do you think this machine was made in China? Can we see a close up picture of it?

If it is a Chinese made machine then you can't use the Singer data to date it. There is no dating data for the China made machines from the 1980ish era.

Cathy

Originally Posted by Marilyn Philips (Post 5655174)
Cathy: No letter in front of serial number. The design on the machine is a sphinx and it was made in China.

Charlee 11-13-2012 07:48 PM

It's a Singer "reproduction"....I've seen both model 15s and 27s in the repros...

Caroline S 11-14-2012 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 5655341)
It's a Singer "reproduction"....I've seen both model 15s and 27s in the repros...

Ditto. The Chinese Sphinx or Memphis decals are always a bit more garish in style and color.

Marilyn Philips 11-14-2012 09:56 PM

Mizkaki and Cathy: "Made in China" was engraved on a metal strip underneath the head of the machine. I can't give you a picture because machine is being checked out and given a few new pieces. In addition, I still need to learn how to post a picture. I am also very confused about its age. I went to Singer on the internet and they sent me a certificate acknowledging that serial #493519 was issued in 1851-1870. This information was not guaranteed however. Nothing about being built in China, but apparently Singers were being built in several countries even then. In any case, I'm not concerned with the monetary value of the machine, just curiosity getting the better of me. It's in beautiful condition and I'm hoping I can learn how to use it properly.

Mizkaki 11-14-2012 10:21 PM

Millie,

Yes, that serial number was being used before 1870, but not for the Chinese machines. This machine can not be accurately dated because there are no dating records for the Chinese machines. Singer assumed that the serial number given by you was for an European or American made machine.

Cathy

Originally Posted by Marilyn Philips (Post 5657777)
Mizkaki and Cathy: "Made in China" was engraved on a metal strip underneath the head of the machine. I can't give you a picture because machine is being checked out and given a few new pieces. In addition, I still need to learn how to post a picture. I am also very confused about its age. I went to Singer on the internet and they sent me a certificate acknowledging that serial #493519 was issued in 1851-1870. This information was not guaranteed however. Nothing about being built in China, but apparently Singers were being built in several countries even then. In any case, I'm not concerned with the monetary value of the machine, just curiosity getting the better of me. It's in beautiful condition and I'm hoping I can learn how to use it properly.

Littlebearquiltingboard 11-15-2012 01:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Marilyn,

Can you see the round dial/knob on the bed of this machine. Does your Chinese made machine have this knob for lowering the feed dogs?

Littlebearquiltingboard 11-15-2012 01:39 AM

Also, does the tension dial have numbers and does the machine have a reverse stitch?

Marilyn Philips 12-06-2012 03:18 AM

Littlebear:

Yes it does have a drop feed dial and the tension dial does have numbers. It also does a reverse stitch.