Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   1955 Singer Featherweight (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/1955-singer-featherweight-t236802.html)

miriam 12-17-2013 02:12 AM

That thread caught underneath way the issue I always had with the FW - even if you stop start with the needle all the way up those and the 301 machines tend to do that frequently. They are harder to clean out the knots than some of the other machines.

callen 12-17-2013 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6459013)
What isn't cute about a Singer 66 redeye?

I totally disagree IMHO anyway. I do not think a redeye is cute - to me, they are absolutely BEAUTIFUL & I would buy one in a heartbeat if I could find a decent one here in Canada.

miriam 12-17-2013 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by callen (Post 6460466)
I totally disagree IMHO anyway. I do not think a redeye is cute - to me, they are absolutely BEAUTIFUL & I would buy one in a heartbeat if I could find a decent one here in Canada.

How much would you expect to pay?

Cecilia S. 12-17-2013 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6460577)
How much would you expect to pay?

Interesting demographic observations: In Canada, Elnas must have been imported in spades in the 50s, for they are a dime a dozen now.

In Upper Canada, one never/RARELY, however, sees Pink Atlases, Davis, Red Eyes, Minnesotas, and a number of others which show up often in USA.

Very interesting to me, that! Just to think of the demographic of purchase and distribution in the bygone years.

Another thought: the more I fiddle with these machines: Instead of thinking of Featherweights as overpriced, I honestly think we all have it wrong. I think all the other machines are grossly underpriced. I'm a cheepie-purchaser and tinkerer myself, so I love it that the machines can be had so easily and cheaply. But Miriam raises a very valid idea. Why do we expect something as solid as a 66 (or a whatever!) to be so darn cheap? All these machines are amazing. Amazing. And incredibly undervalued.

miriam 12-17-2013 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by cecilia s. (Post 6460794)
interesting demographic observations: In canada, elnas must have been imported in spades in the 50s, for they are a dime a dozen now.

In upper canada, one never/rarely, however, sees pink atlases, davis, red eyes, minnesotas, and a number of others which show up often in usa.

Very interesting to me, that! Just to think of the demographic of purchase and distribution in the bygone years.

Another thought: The more i fiddle with these machines: Instead of thinking of featherweights as overpriced, i honestly think we all have it wrong. I think all the other machines are grossly underpriced. I'm a cheepie-purchaser and tinkerer myself, so i love it that the machines can be had so easily and cheaply. But miriam raises a very valid idea. Why do we expect something as solid as a 66 (or a whatever!) to be so darn cheap? All these machines are amazing. Amazing. And incredibly undervalued.

exactly!!!!!

KyKaren1949 12-17-2013 11:04 AM

Reasonable price and fortunate to have all the attachments and accessories.

Redsquirrel 12-17-2013 11:16 AM

you will be very happy with it, I'm sure. Go for it.

vmaniqui 12-17-2013 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. (Post 6460794)
Interesting demographic observations: In Canada, Elnas must have been imported in spades in the 50s, for they are a dime a dozen now.

In Upper Canada, one never/RARELY, however, sees Pink Atlases, Davis, Red Eyes, Minnesotas, and a number of others which show up often in USA.

Another thought: the more I fiddle with these machines: Instead of thinking of Featherweights as overpriced, I honestly think we all have it wrong. I think all the other machines are grossly underpriced. I'm a cheepie-purchaser and tinkerer myself, so I love it that the machines can be had so easily and cheaply. But Miriam raises a very valid idea. Why do we expect something as solid as a 66 (or a whatever!) to be so darn cheap? All these machines are amazing. Amazing. And incredibly undervalued.

well said. i will compare the old singer to the cars of yesteryears. well built (with real metal, SS, chrome) and with true value. as years passed we can see our machines go up in value. i bought a 201-2 from a guy in San Francisco and he showed me the receipt when it was first bought - $175. and that translates to about $1,500 in today's money and yet i want to buy it cheaper than what he was selling it for (to think that he's selling it at a cheap price already).

Suzy 12-17-2013 02:07 PM

Miriam I have a 99 and a 66 and 3 featherweights and 3 301s I love them all. I use my featherweights for classes because of the weight. They are great little machines. I use my 66 for free motion quilting, which I am still trying to accomplish. Once in a while I will bring out the 99, but it is heavy for my poor back. Suzy

vmaniqui 12-17-2013 06:05 PM

how about this FEATHERWEIGHT for $175 but in Melbourne, Florida.