Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   2,400 Mile Trip! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/2-400-mile-trip-t270877.html)

DonnaFreak 10-08-2015 02:52 PM

2,400 Mile Trip!

2 Attachment(s)
Howdy y'all :)

About 4 weeks ago I took off in my new (to me) van and drove to San Diego, CA from central KY. Why you ask? To pick up a vintage sewing machine of course! When I flew out there in April to visit my BFF, I used her sewing machine to make some covers and cushions for her wheelchair. She told me when I was there that her eyesight was getting so bad that she couldn't see to sew anymore. Her machine had belonged to her mother, and she wanted someone to have it who she knew would use it and appreciate it. So when I got a van with 3rd row seating that I could fold the seats down to hold a lot, I took off with my nephew to go get it! I've spent the last 2 weeks since I've been back trying to get things rearranged so I could actually fit the machine into my bedroom/sewing room, and looking for a dresser to use for more storage. I FINALLY found a dresser yesterday at the local Peddlers Mall, so my son helped me move it into the house last night. So please ignore the stuff you see piled up around my "new" machine, since I haven't had time to get everything put into the dresser yet. I'm HORRIBLE at organizing, so it's gonna take a while. LOL! Oh...she also gave me the little 3 drawer chest sitting under the right leaf of the sewing machine, that her father made for her mom so she could have extra storage space. All of the sewing machine drawers AND the chest were full of sewing items! The machine is a Kenmore 1651, and it has 30 cams with it, so many feet that I don't even know what they do, a monogramming kit, and all sorts of doo-dads that I have no idea what they're for! So how did I do? The trip was well worth it (my nephew and I had a GREAT time!) whether the machine is a super great one or not. And hey.....free and all that..... ;)

Donna

annievee 10-08-2015 02:58 PM

Nice machine, great trip, glad all is well.

toverly 10-08-2015 03:01 PM

Have fun with your new machine, you're a true friend to take it and give it a great home.

tessagin 10-08-2015 03:01 PM

Great looking machine and glad you had a great time.

costumegirl 10-08-2015 03:18 PM

What a good friend to give you such a nice gift! Lots of memories are wrapped up in all the stuff that came with it. Have fun!!

DonnaMiller 10-08-2015 04:06 PM

What a loving thing for her to do. You know it had great sentimental value to her and you were her chosen one. What a good friend both ways.

Cari-in-Oly 10-08-2015 06:20 PM

What an awesome story.

Cari

Quincunx 10-08-2015 07:57 PM

Oh, it is a super great machine for sure! I know that is nothing next to the fun of a long road trip to see your best friend that goes so well. But the machine is worth it even without the wonderful stories and memories. This is a sister to the 1601 & 1802 that Kenmore people are so wild about. :)

miriam 10-09-2015 02:31 AM

I am so ready for a road trip....

Mickey2 10-09-2015 03:46 AM

Congratulations! Let us know how it works when you have had a couple of rounds with oil and cleaning. It looks very nice and solid. I like the wood cabinet with drawers, they are very practical for larger pieces and when you want things too look tidy. It looks like it was cared for and all in very nice condition. Are the old Kenmores smooth quiet running machines?