Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   2 spool National Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/2-spool-national-sewing-machine-t174326.html)

J Davis 01-03-2012 03:03 PM

2 spool National Sewing Machine

Hi, I just joined this group. I love quilting of all kinds. I just bought an Avanta with 'art & stitch., My friend and I are going for classes in Ca. and Phoenix, AZ. However, I also collect vintage sewing machines of all kinds. I have a problem. I have a 2 spool National Treadle machine. The bobbin case is missing the tension bar!!!!! Can anyone help me find a bobbin case for this machine? I am really looking forward to this message board. Happy Quilting, Jane in AZ:D

vintagemotif 01-03-2012 03:36 PM

Please post a picture of your bobbin case so that we can see what is missing on it. Thank you.

jljack 01-10-2012 02:55 PM

I guess she figured it out, Monica. Elsewise, why ask for help and then not answer or give info? Oh well.... We're still here, J Davis.

vintagemotif 01-10-2012 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by jljack (Post 4862262)
I guess she figured it out, Monica. Elsewise, why ask for help and then not answer or give info? Oh well.... We're still here, J Davis.

Oh dear, I hope I didn't scare her off with asking for a picture. :)

My request for seeing a picture of her "bobbin case" is for clarifying that we are talking about the same machine.

A National Two Spools sewing machine doesn't have a "bobbin case", but it does have a "spool case" (or also sometimes referred to as a "can"). A second spool is used for the bottom thread instead of a bobbin; hence the name Two Spools sewing machine. That spool is dropped into what looks like a "can" which then sits on a pin in the the stationary race. The spool case does have a tension bar.

She states that the tension bar is missing on her case. Not something easy to find, I would believe it would be easier to find another "spool case" , or better yet, another Two Spools.

Well, I'm still here... don't know how much I can be of help to her, since I don't have an extra spool case.

I was curious to see her spool case. It's always fun to meet and chat with others that own a Two Spools since the machine is wonderful to use for piecing work. Plus,the machine is cleverly engineered; it's like owning mechanical art...heck, any vintage sewing machine is mechanical art.

Quilter Connie 05-25-2012 04:37 AM

I bought a National Two Spool treadle machine last week at a garage sale. Can anyone tell me how to find out what it is worth? It has the can inserted which I can see but I have not removed it, nor do I know if it operates properly. The machine has many attachments and the original manual plus a newer manual. The cabinet is worn and used but intact and in reasonable condition for a machine of its age. I posted about the machine on my blog and a reader would like to buy it from me. I may want to sell it but I don't know its worth. I checked on ebay and saw Singer treadles listed for auction in the $300-$500 range, couldn't believe it. I assume the two spool is rarer and possibly worth more? I'd appreciate any comments about this machine. Thanks.

vintagemotif 05-25-2012 08:53 AM

Connie, I picked up a Two Spools for $30 and then watched one sell for around $600 on ebay. I think it all depends on how badly one wants one, but right now most machines aren't selling very high.

You should keep it, learn to sew with it, and make a couple of quilts with it. And then if you no longer wish to be the steward of the machine, then send it on to the next.

The Two Spools has a perfect 1/4" foot for sewing. To remove the can insert you will need to pull towards you gently on the can to remove. The tip of the can has a spring loaded pin that helps keep the can in place. This pin can be adjusted.

Google threading a National or Eldredge machine, and Two Spools. If you need more help, I will try to help you.

Candace 05-25-2012 09:24 AM

What is it "worth" is based on condition etc. without pictures is impossible to judge and the area where it is, is a big factor. Of course, people who are dreamers post vintage machines on CL and ebay with no reality check. A good way to judge what it MAY be worth is to look at closed (past) ebay sales, not listings, as this will give you a general idea of what other people have paid.

Quilter Connie 05-26-2012 03:59 AM

Thanks for the two replies to my question. I was basically curious whether it is worth maybe $50 or in the hundreds. For now I plan to keep it and if I decide to sell I'll research ebay and other sites for similar machines in similar condition. When I bought it I didn't know it was a Two Spool and I had never heard of one. Thanks for the tips you shared re using it. I appreciate receiving these comments, thanks again.