Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Is this a 201? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/201-t279149.html)

bkay 05-31-2016 03:56 PM

Is this a 201?

1 Attachment(s)
This is on Craigslist locally. I've been studying photos on the vintage Singer Sewing Machine Blog. Everything looks like a 201, except it doesn't have a flat spot for the spool. The shape is correct (as much as you can see from this photo), it looks like a potted motor, it has the switch. Why not the flat spot?

bkay

Cari-in-Oly 05-31-2016 04:03 PM

Yes, that is a 201-2. Very easy to spot, it's the only full size black Singer with the light on the front like that. You should get it if you can. I'm not a Singer gal as most people know, but I'll never part with Elizabeth, my 201-2. There's just nothing like it IMNSHO. Some of them have the spool pin plate, some don't. Mine doesn't.

Cari

Macybaby 06-01-2016 05:24 AM

I believe the flat spot is just a variation on casting. I've got one with it, and one without. Probably a change Singer made at some point in time, but was not significant enough to be considered a different model.

Sewnoma 06-01-2016 05:47 AM

It looks like it's in great shape! Snap it up!!

A 201 is on my short-short list but they don't come up locally very often at all (or, ever). I don't want to pay a premium for one on eBay, so I just keep looking...

Lyncat 06-01-2016 11:18 AM

That's my favorite vintage Singer!

bkay 06-01-2016 02:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's not cheap. It seems reasonable, though. They are asking $200. for it They have some accessories and a buttonholer. It also has a nice cabinet and rough looking stool. I'm debating spending that (they might negotiate) or waiting...hoping to find a really good deal sometime. It's only been posted a couple of days. So I'm debating.

bk

Cari-in-Oly 06-01-2016 03:45 PM

You might try to negotiate. If it doesn't sell after a time, see if they'll take less for it. While it is a popular machine, it's still very common. If I were in the market for one, knowing what I do now about them, and it's in very good condition, has been serviced, etc. I might be willing to pay maybe $150. To put it in perspective, I paid $30 for mine BUT it was in an ugly small blond cabinet, was very dirty, was missing the screw that hold the feed dogs in place and the slide/ bobbin cover plates and the cords had been cut. The parts were easy to get so for that price I had to have it. It was my first and still is my favorite Singer.

Cari

callen 06-01-2016 04:05 PM

Beautiful machine.

Jeanette Frantz 06-01-2016 08:47 PM

I have a 201-2. I was gifted with this machine, in that I paid ZERO for it. But, Cari has seen photos of it and it is in wonderful condition. The machine you posted is in even better condition! I'm very happy with my machine because it's in very good condition. What you pay is pretty much up to you. If you think it's too much, then it's too much! I'm not qualified to advise on prices, but it is a beautiful machine. We all want to get the best price we can on a machine, that's human nature!
Jeanette

purplefiend 06-01-2016 10:42 PM

I have a 1936 201k-4 original hand crank, it was my first people powered machine. I prefer to use it treadle powered. My machine has a plate that goes over the spool pin and fits into a hole on both sides of the spool pin.
Sharon