Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   221 thread tension dial (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/221-thread-tension-dial-t255365.html)

luvrazz 10-16-2014 06:46 AM

221 thread tension dial

My featherweight has the tension dial with no numbers, I was wondering if I can change it out for the dial with numbers.

Thanks any help is appreciated.

J Miller 10-16-2014 12:28 PM

Short answer = yes.

Long answer = but why, the numbered tension really doesn't work any better than the older style? It just sorta looks a bit more modern.

Joe

miriam 10-16-2014 04:14 PM

I think I like the ones with no dial - sure a lot easier to use.

Rodney 10-16-2014 06:24 PM

I suppose the numbered one might be easier to return to a prior setting or see how far you've adjusted it if you're making changes but other than that there's no real advantage. The non-numbered one is easier to take apart and clean.
As long as they both use the same shaft it shouldn't be a big deal to swap them out.
Rodney

miriam 10-17-2014 12:48 AM

I guess I didn't know the FW came with no dial at all. It might be somebody's rigged up mess.

luvrazz 10-17-2014 05:20 AM

It has a dial just no numbers. If you have to make an adjustment you just can't tell how far you are making the adjustment.

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6932039)
I guess I didn't know the FW came with no dial at all. It might be somebody's rigged up mess.

sjdal 10-17-2014 05:21 AM

FW's went into production in 1933. The early machines did not have a numbered thread tension dial. Beginning with the serial number AE, manufactured in 1935-1937, this dial was changed and numbers were added.

ArchaicArcane 10-17-2014 10:24 AM

I usually count revolutions. I have to do it the most on my long arm because it doesn't have a numbered dial either. What I do is start at a known constant - for the LA that's the post being flush with the knob. I find the tension setting I like and count how many revolutions or partial revolutions forward or backward from that "known constant" and make a note of it, just like when I have a number, so it looks like this (just an example, I don't remember what the actual is at the moment):
Aurifil - 2/3 turns tighter
vs
Aurifil - "4"

Sunflowerzz 10-17-2014 10:33 AM

Well, good grief I never noticed....now I have to go see which tension dial I have. I even sewed with her several times and never noticed.
Guess that means I don't need a numbered one. Off to go check my FW dial.

Update: She has the numbers dial, maybe I would have noticed if there weren't any numbers?

What a conundrum.

purplefiend 10-18-2014 03:58 PM

I'm used to the tension dials with no numbers. My Singer 66 red eye machines have the really old tensioners like your featherweight does. I find it easier with no numbers to fool with.
Sharon in Texas