Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   301 feed dogs jammed? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/301-feed-dogs-jammed-t270139.html)

SuzzyQ 09-19-2015 01:15 AM

301 feed dogs jammed?

Machine runs but the feed dogs are jammed under the plate. Is this something we can tackle on our own - DH is pretty good at figuring out mechanical stuff.

OurWorkbench 09-19-2015 03:52 AM

SuzzyQ, I think some more information and explanation is needed to be able to answer.
Did it just happen?
Had it been working correctly? If so, what were you doing - sewing seams or free motion?
If you move the hand wheel by hand do you see the feed dogs move but just below the needle plate? If so it may be possible that the feed dogs have been lowered for free motion. How to lower the feed dogs for darning is on page 62 of the pdf manual available at singerco.com.
Is this a 'new to you' machine?
Did you recently remove the needle plate to clean all the lint that has a way of accumulating there? If so, is it put back together correctly? The pdf manual (mentioned above) I have shows on page 17 the caution note about getting it back installed correctly.

Sometimes just perusing the manual helps. The page numbers above are of the pdf not the actual manual.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Manalto 09-19-2015 06:57 AM

We need more information. "The machine runs" includes properly-functioning feed dogs, so the machine does not run, at least not correctly.

Check for a thread jam - or have "DH" do it, if you prefer - that's usually the problem with a 301 that's stuck.

miriam 09-19-2015 04:42 PM

For some people it may be better to take it to a repair shop.

Aurora 09-20-2015 07:52 AM

Check the bobbin area. I once had a jam there and took it apart to get it out. Not terribly difficult to do.

SunlitenSmiles 09-20-2015 04:05 PM

did you turn the knob to drop the feeddogs and forget to bring them back up? Machine can run fine with them dropped for free motion but if you want them to feed the fabric past the needle they need to be up.

elnan 09-20-2015 05:41 PM

The feed dogs on this machine do not drop. You flip a lever on the bed that elevates the plate over the feed dogs. I find it difficult to get the plate and everything else back in place on several of them, so do not use these slant needle machines for any darning or free motion quilting. I have two 404s. One works very well with dropping everything back in place, the other is an exercise in frustration. One of these machines had a straight pin shoved down into the lifting mechanism. I hope you are removing the needle and presser foot to have better access while working on it.

Stitchnripper 09-20-2015 05:52 PM

Elnan, I am pretty sure the feed dogs drop on a 301. But not on the 404 or 401.

Manalto 09-20-2015 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper (Post 7322838)
Elnan, I am pretty sure the feed dogs drop on a 301. But not on the 404 or 401.

Correct, and a sleep-walking feed dog adjustment would be low on my trouble-shooting list.

SunlitenSmiles 09-21-2015 04:03 AM

on the 301 the feed dogs drop with an adjusting knob thingy next to the bobbin case housing and it is a very easy adjustment to do..... on my 301 you loosen the screw and turn the knob and on my Daughters' 301 you just turn the knob.....simple and works perfectly every time.