Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   301 Trapezoid case (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/301-trapezoid-case-t256839.html)

Mrs. SewNSew 11-15-2014 01:39 PM

301 Trapezoid case

1 Attachment(s)
I found a 301 case at the senior center thrift store for 5.00. No machine inside boohoo, but I decided to grab the case anyway. ;) I didn't realize they have the same stinky issue as the Featherweight cases, or at least mine does! The glue is letting go of the fabric in places on the inside and I would like to catch it up. What glue would you recommend?

J Miller 11-15-2014 04:23 PM

Christy,

There are lots of glues, but my favorite is Elmer's Carpenters Wood Glue. There is two versions, one is water resistant when dry, that's the one I use.

Lots of clamping and once dry it will take an act of congress for it to come apart again.

Joe

Mrs. SewNSew 11-15-2014 06:05 PM

Thanks Joe. I will look an see which one I have. Uh, it's the interior type, but I've used it before on other types of cases so I'm probably ok for it on this too.

mlmack 11-15-2014 06:11 PM

Seems like any machine that has that oil drip pad has the capacity to stink. I had 301 in the trapezoid case and it made me nauseous every time I opened the case.

Blackberry 11-16-2014 06:39 AM

The case looks to be in great shape. I don't know much about the smell except I used Irish Spring Soap chips in my featherweight case which helped a lot. I may have to do it again because there is still a slight musty smell inside.

Mariposa 11-16-2014 06:42 AM

That case looks to be in great condition. Congrats on the find!

Mrs. SewNSew 11-16-2014 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mariposa (Post 6970817)
That case looks to be in great condition. Congrats on the find!

Thanks! I wasn't so sure and then looked around at others on-line and decided it really is in pretty good condition. I', glad I went back for it. Would you believe I left it there overnight because of the smell? I slept on it and then went back the next morning and was happy to find it still there!

Cari-in-Oly 11-16-2014 01:49 PM

Nice looking case. Are you sure it's the 301 case? You do know there's a bigger one too for full size machines.

Cari

Nanny's dollface 11-16-2014 06:36 PM

Couldn't help myself but your avatar is the sewing machine my grandmother taught me on. Fond memories - how she she loved that machine as it was a work horse.

Mrs. SewNSew 11-16-2014 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly (Post 6971470)
Nice looking case. Are you sure it's the 301 case? You do know there's a bigger one too for full size machines.

Cari

Cari, I'm pretty sure it is. Are there other cases that are similar? I read there were 2 sizes of grasscloth cases. Mine is the smaller size. The 301 fits with just a tiny bit of room around it, so little that the handle has to be in the down position. It has a metal divider on the side so the cord and foot controller fit up top and a spot for the attachments box on the bottom.