Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   401 needle oiling (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/401-needle-oiling-t289231.html)

bkay 06-25-2017 01:58 PM

401 needle oiling

I recently cleaned a 15-91 and it had a wick in the top of the needle bar down in that hole. My 401 (which I pushed to the back for a while after a lot of frustration) has a similar hole, but no wick. Should it have a wick?

bkay

Mickey2 06-25-2017 03:12 PM

I'm not completely sure about the 401 or model 15, but more modern swing arm zigzaggers usually doesn't have felt wicks like the old straight stitchers have. My 66, 99 and 201 only have a felt bit in the top of the presser bar tension screw. None of my more modern machines has oil wicks at all (late 50s and up). The 99 has a red felt bit near the hook and race too. There's usually a lot of hinges and oil points connected to the movements of the needle bar though. The most important thing is to make sure there is oil in the hinges as well as all the way along needle / presser bar shafts.

bkay 06-25-2017 03:35 PM

Thanks, Mickey

Success!!!!!!!!!!!! I finally freed up the whole 401, I think. I gave it a rest for a week or so and the needle bar still wouldn't spring back (maybe wrong term, but it wasn't free). So, I started over with Cari's alcohol, qtips, and a toothbrush. I stuffed paper towel strips down in the bottom to catch alcohol drips. I cleaned everything between the needle and the cam stack, again. (This must have been the third or fourth time I've done it.) I'm letting all the alcohol evaporate and will re-oil tomorrow morning. Then, I'll thread it up and give it a try.

Thanks, Cari. That's the best tip I've had this year.

I'm pleased, to say the least.

bkay

tscweaves 06-25-2017 04:17 PM

I am glad you have it freed up. When I brought my 401a home it hadn't been used in years and all of the cams were stuck. Oodles of oiling later, everything freed up and now it is just smooth. Mine 401a doesn't have oil wicks like the 15-88 & 301.

Cari-in-Oly 06-25-2017 10:30 PM

The place to watch on a 401 is that bullet thingy that controls the needle swing. You may have to oil it well and wiggle it back and forth by hand 367 times or more before it moves freely. That's the only place I've ever had an issue with on a 401. Well, that and using a drop of motor oil to quiet down the motor.

Cari

Mickey2 06-26-2017 04:50 AM

From the descriptions here I realise the 401 requires more patience and persistence of us than most. Some type of degreaser might speed things up, and I guess that's where the alcohol comes in. These are the times when we can put Triflow to the test and see if it actually makes a difference.

leonf 06-26-2017 09:55 AM

Happy to hear of your success, bkay.

bkay 06-26-2017 06:04 PM

What are you calling the bullet thingy?

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly (Post 7851741)
The place to watch on a 401 is that bullet thingy that controls the needle swing. You may have to oil it well and wiggle it back and forth by hand 367 times or more before it moves freely. That's the only place I've ever had an issue with on a 401. Well, that and using a drop of motor oil to quiet down the motor.

Cari

I'm not sure what you mean by bullet thingy. Where is it located?

I meant to get back to the machine today, but life happened. My cousins and I are trying to sell my Grandfather's farm, which we own in common. It has been time consuming to say the least. Today, my printer died while I was trying to print the contract. I spent hours and hours of "support" trying to get it to print. It kept saying it was working and fine. It was dead, however. So, I had to purchase another, and install, and the contract did not get mailed today.

Life happens.

bkay

Cari-in-Oly 06-26-2017 07:03 PM

Okay, I used the wrong word, it's the plunger that travels back and forth to make the needle bar swing. If you open the face plate and the top you can see it just to the right of the needle bar. I don't have a pic.

Cari

tessagin 06-27-2017 02:55 AM

there are numerous videos on cleaning and repairing a 401. A guy by the name of Vince has a series of videos concerning the 401. You can also download the manual free. It's a long (98 pages) and includes maintenance on a 401. Worth printing up and having on hand. We use it when we need to trouble shoot. Not very often.