Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   99K that looks like a 99-13 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/99k-looks-like-99-13-a-t208095.html)

Jamiestitcher62 12-10-2012 09:20 AM

99K that looks like a 99-13

Ok, my friend just handed me a 99K Serial No. EG038445 (which is 1950 Scotland). However it doesn't look like the other 99's. It has no stitch length regulator on it. It looks like a 99-13 to me. What the heck good is a machine that can't go backwards or change the stitch length on it.

The color is fantastic on it and the decals are like new. The wiring is spent and the box is in pretty darn good shape.

Not sure if I should put any money into it since it didn't come with any accessories and without a stitch length or reverse lever I don't know why I would even use it. Plus putting money into it just get $50 at the most isn't worth it.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Krisb 12-10-2012 10:29 AM

Do you mean that there is no lever to change the stitch length? That may be so--earlier models have a big screw on the right side of the machine, about where a stitch length lever would be, that changes the stitch length. But it may not reverse.

J Miller 12-10-2012 11:12 AM

You don't need a reverse lever to back tack your thread. There is at least three, maybe four ways to do it. Many of the machines I sew on do not have back tack or reverse levers, as a matter of fact the early ones didn't have such a thing.

As far as changing the stitch length there is a round knob on the pillar for that. Works pretty good too.

Perhaps if you dislike the machine so much you should give it to someone who would appreciate it. There is a section here for offering things, since it was given to you maybe you should use it.

Joe

Muv 12-10-2012 03:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Laura,

The 99K won't do reverse. You don't need it. Just turn the work with the foot up and needle down and sew back the way you came.

If you go to my blog (link below) you will find a heading at the side for posts about stitch length regulators. Everything you need to know is explained with photographs.

The 99K is an excellent machine. This doll quilt was quilted on my 1927 99K hand machine, which serves me very well. It doesn't even need a fancy quilting foot, just an ordinary hinged regular foot, and jam the presser bar down to maximum pressure.

Your machine could end up as being your favourite. You just need to get to know it.

miriam 12-11-2012 06:30 AM

Muv, I love your blog.

vintagemotif 12-11-2012 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5712768)
Muv, I love your blog.

I love Muv's blog too!

grandmahoney 12-12-2012 05:53 AM

If you really don't want to use it for sewing us it for display on a shelf in your sewing room. I have a red eye that works great but I have it on a shelf in my sewing room just so I can enjoy it. They are just beautiful machines.

Linda Wa St 01-01-2013 05:19 PM

I turned mine into a hand crank, I like to use it, and love to just look at it.
Linda Wa St

miriam 01-01-2013 06:03 PM

I just got one - it beats anything you could buy at WM for quality. Nope it doesn't do reverse. sigh. Somewhere somebody has listed all the options for reverse. I doubt if I can get them all. you can hold the fabric back from going through. you can turn it . I'm not thinking what else you can do.

J Miller 01-01-2013 06:47 PM

Both of my 99K's will do back tacking. Not a true reverse, but it comes in handy.

Joe