Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   ?? About Featherweights (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/about-featherweights-t116196.html)

TrenaM 04-14-2011 07:37 PM

I am new to quilting and am wondering why everyone seems to want to have a featherweight. Thanks in advance.

Quiltbeagle 04-14-2011 07:47 PM

They're just wonderful little machines with a really nice straight stitch, dependable and easy to maintain. They're portable and just CUTE! Mine is over 50 years old and will most likely still be going strong when my computerized machines are all in the landfill.

tomilu 04-14-2011 07:47 PM

They are lightweight, easy to carry to classes and retreats since they are so light. They have a great stitch and they are also the fad, lol.

alaskasunshine 04-14-2011 07:55 PM

They are wonderful,smooth,adorable,perfect stitches and super duper adorable. OOPS I already told you they were adorable. I have several and they are all different. One day I am hoping for a 1957. Have you ever sewn on one?

My first featherweight was a 1934 and I was hooked. It really is so hard to explain but they are such a loved machine. Check on Craig's list for them. I usually get mine from ebay and they kill us on shipping here. Hope you experience one and then you'll know why somany people love them! Then post pix of yours so we can all ooohhhh and aaahhhh :shock: :thumbup:

writerwomen 04-14-2011 08:54 PM

From someone who works on Vintage machines I can tell you two sides to the coin.
People buy featherweights because they are cute and because everyone has oneare two reasons. They're compact which is nice for storage and transport weighing approx 11 lbs without the case.
Down falls- very small bed to turn your work or feed a larger piece through. The tension dial is directly inline with the needle and your line of sight.( because of the small space between gears and levers it is very important to keep up on the maintainace.
The Singer 301 has been billed as the big sister to the feathrweight with a folding extension bed. It is a full size machine weighing only 16 lbs with a built in carrying hadle well balanced to off set the heavier end with the motor.
A number of Japanese makes are great for top stitch work where you need great precision in turning and speed. Not as light weight but nice.
Singer has a long run of well made machines to include the featherweight but then lost that vision and went strictly for profit and bottomed out their quality.
Depending on your need will dictate your purchase. If you are carrying a machine to clases etc look into a smaller machine or lighter weight- doesn't need to be a featherweight or a vintage. For a machine that won't be used much don't blow the bank on it- do some review research to see what people have to say.

AliKat 04-14-2011 09:39 PM

I got my FW when it became too hard to lift my regular machine into the car for sew-ins and such. The FW is dependable and a workhorse. The light weight means I can still get out and have fun with other quilters when I can. It isn't computerized so I don't have to worry about the heat in the car [remember this is Arizona!]

Plus they are cute. Mine has a place of honor on top of my quilt cabinet in my living room.

ali

hobbykat1955 04-15-2011 03:41 AM

I just found a 301 and brought it for maintance to a singer dealer who's been in business for 0/40 yrs. I mentioned my next will be a featherweight and he said they were "overrated"...nice because they are light but that's as far as they go. White featherweight according to him has 2 belts and totally unreliable...black ones only one belt. He insisted that the 301 was their best machine and once greased and oiled and kept up they will last forever.
So I've put the featherweight on the back burner and found another 301A in a diff color...I love my 301's

dkabasketlady 04-15-2011 04:25 AM

I purchased my Featherweight so that I could take a small & lightweight machine to the sewing class in my subdivision. I have a bad back and this was the perfect solution for me. I haven't looked back!

Stitchnripper 04-15-2011 04:46 AM

and, if you are interested in doing a search on the board, you will find many topics on featherweights that will give even more good reasons. I love mine. Even just to look at when I am not sewing !!