Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Adjusting Tension on Wheeler & Wilson 9 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/adjusting-tension-wheeler-wilson-9-a-t239135.html)

Champanier 01-18-2014 05:14 PM

Adjusting Tension on Wheeler & Wilson 9

1 Attachment(s)
I've been working on my Wheeler & Wilson 9 and I have it running (at least with the hand wheel), but I haven't been able to adjust the tension correctly. I tightened the tension nut a lot - many turns. It got better than it was, but still is not right. I wasn't able to get the screw to turn on the bobbin tension and I'm worried about adjusting that anyway, since the manual says it really shouldn't be changed.

I wonder if I need to take apart the tension pulley to clean it more thoroughly.

There's also the little wire (that's usually springy on other machines) on the thread guide and controller, which is in place, but just loose and goes up to the top when the thread goes in. Would that affect the tension? Where could I find a replacement?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]457294[/ATTACH]Photo (very close up - the fabric is just cotton, even though it looks like burlap) is before and after adjusting tension - not much difference.

Thanks for your help!

J Miller 01-18-2014 05:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Champainer,

Question; do you have an owners manual? The threading of the WW D9 or Singer 9W-7 is different from most other machines. And ... they rotate opposite from all other Singers as well. So if the machine is not threaded correctly the tension will not be right.

Here is a pic of a manual that shows the threading on an earlier machine than my two. Let me know if yours is different as I have some more pics.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]457311[/ATTACH]
It's fairly simple but does vary from WW9 to the Singer 9W-7 a bit.

I have other pics of the later top guides too if you need them.

Joe

Candace 01-18-2014 06:29 PM

I suspect that it's not threaded correctly or the tension spring isn't engaged properly. The spring should give the thread some resistance and shouldn't be just hanging there or floppy. If you can't get it right, maybe post a photo of the tensioner and how you have it threaded.

jlhmnj 01-18-2014 07:42 PM

I assume the photos show the bottom of the seam. Like the instructions say, the thread makes a complete revolution around the tension pulley, counter clockwise. The two halves of the tension are riveted together and the pulley spins in use unlike the Singer Tension discs which are stationary. Sometimes it necessary to adjust or clean lint the bobbin case though from your pics the lower tension is too tight or the upper too loose assuming the view is of the bottom.

Jon

jlhmnj 01-18-2014 10:49 PM

[QUOTE=jlhmnj; Like the instructions say, the thread makes a complete revolution around the tension pulley, counter clockwise.

Jon[/QUOTE]

From Joe's pic the thread direction appears CC in direction but from a different manual clockwise. Seems clockwise would make more sense and that's how I have mine threaded.

Jon

J Miller 01-19-2014 08:56 AM

Jon,

When I first got my 9W-7 I contacted Keven Pinkerton { http://sites.google.com/site/kevinsstuff1/sewing-stuff }
and he sent me quite a few photos of how to thread it. My machines are different at the top thread guide than the ones in that manual page. Since the OP had a W&W I posted that rather than my pics. However Kevin did say to thread the tensioner clockwise, from the right side, down under the bottom, around over the top then down to the take up spring. I don't think it would work if you threaded it counter clockwise.

Joe

jlhmnj 01-19-2014 11:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Champanier,

Here's a copy of the Wheeler and Wilson D-9 manual which is very similar to the Singer 9W-7.

Jon

SteveH 01-20-2014 08:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I found that the area indicated contains the most opportunities for problems. Once they are cleaned and adjusted my tension issues went away

[ATTACH=CONFIG]457585[/ATTACH]

Champanier 01-20-2014 02:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
All aboard the W & W 9 express! Thanks to everyone. You were all absolutely right - I didn't have the thread wrapped a full circle around the tensioner. I think it is counter-clockwise. I go over the top towards the back of the machine, around once and come out the bottom of the tensioner toward the front of the machine. I was still having trouble, although it was getting better. When I got the top tension tight enough, it was so tight that it broke the thread. I read in the directions to put the presser foot down and pull the thread to test the tension and that was helpful.
The bobbin tension seemed too tight and I can't get the adjustment screw to move, so I took out the bobbin and put in another one that had a little thinner thread. I was very careful to follow the instructions about how to install the bobbin. As soon as I did that, it worked fine.
This is the first time I actually got the machine to work right (I had to put on a new belt, too) and oh, my, is it fast! I just have to give the wheel a little turn and the treadle really flies - it's more a question of keeping my foot on it and keeping time rather than actually having to push. It's much faster than the Singer 66 (at least with my limited treadling skills). I have to just about put the brakes on to stop it. When I stop treadling, it keeps going! I can't wait to really sew with it. Here's a picture of its pretty stitching. [ATTACH=CONFIG]457639[/ATTACH]I have one more question. There seems to be a felt or cloth pad between the spring and the tension disks. I picked at it and it seemed solid, so I left it there. Do you know if it belongs there? And if so, should I replace it with a clean piece of felt or leave well enough alone? Thanks again!

redbugsullivan 11-11-2016 08:32 AM

I see that no one has responded to your final post. I just purchased a W&W D-9 and it has two felt pads, one on either side of the disks. My machine is pretty original so I would trust that they were supposed to be there. Mine got a dot of oil after a slight wiggle between layers of a paper towel.

The mention that the disks were riveted together helped me a lot! Not sure how it is supposed to help with tension but now I know NOT to try and get them apart.