Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Adler 453a issues (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/adler-453a-issues-t298434.html)

Steelsewing 07-22-2018 05:52 PM

Adler 453a issues

1 Attachment(s)
A friend of mine often enables my SMAD and dropped off a lovely little machine with problems. Besides the fact that one motor wire had snapped flush with the motor casing... the other big issue is an almost gone timing belt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]598234[/ATTACH]

It's an Adler 453a circa 1955 (?). I have the owner's manual, but cannot find a part number anywhere for the belt. I don't mind trying to time a machine I've never seen before... without any instructions... that's such an attractive color green... ahem... but I still need a belt. Anyone have a clue where I might look to find the part number?

Many thanks - Jim

Cari-in-Oly 07-22-2018 06:50 PM

I suggest you join the Victorian Sweatshop forum. They have a member in Germany who can most likely tell you anything you need to know.

Cari

CaseySews 04-05-2020 12:20 AM

Adler Timing Belt

Hello,

Fixing up an Adler of my own and have the same issue with finding a timing belt. The old belt measured 17 5/8" X 3/8; closest I can find is a Singer belt that is 17 5/8 X 1/4. Did you have any luck sourcing the right part?

Casey

leonf 04-05-2020 08:46 AM

They are notoriously difficult to find. I can't point you anywhere. Good luck. And welcome aboard, Casey.

CaseySews 04-05-2020 09:27 AM

Adler Timing Belt

Originally Posted by leonf (Post 8375288)
They are notoriously difficult to find. I can't point you anywhere. Good luck. And welcome aboard, Casey.

Thanks, would I get into trouble if I tried the 1/4 width on it?

leonf 04-06-2020 06:42 AM

Woa I just read that again. are you talking about the drive belt from the motor?. The blet I am thining of is about 1/2" wide with steel cleats on it.

CaseySews 04-07-2020 10:05 AM

No, I'm talking about the internal timing belt.The original belt was nylon or some synthetic material that became brittle with age. I've ordered 2 1/4 inch belts and am going to see if I can fit one, both or cut one down a bit; my father owns a machine shop and if anyone could modify a belt he could.

I'm hoping that I've measured the length and number of teeth correctly!

leonf 04-07-2020 12:54 PM

When you get it one, don't use power until you have turned it through several times by hand.

CaseySews 04-16-2020 11:49 PM

Adler Timing Belt

The singer belts were not the correct size, sent them back. More measuring and education about timing belts and I determined that it requires a 448mm x 10mm trapezoid belt with 8mm between the middle of the cleats. There should be 56 teeth.

The only belt in this size is a rounded cleat instead of a trapezoid (flat). Ordered it from China, maybe it will arrive someday...