Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Advice request - National Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/advice-request-national-sewing-machine-t251380.html)

quilt1950 08-05-2014 08:01 AM

Advice request - National Sewing Machine

My friend has a National Sewing Machine that was purchased in 1969 for $269. It comes with a wooden case and attachments. I have not seen the machine, and I'm out of town, so I won't be able to see it for awhile. She's does not sew (it belonged to her MIL) and can't tell me how/if it works.

She's anxious to 'get rid of it'. Does this machine have any potential value, or should she free cycle it? She's looking to me for advice. I tried to google 'national sewing machine' and I did not get any helpful hints. So I'm turning to the experts - you!

Thanks, Sue

oldsewnsew 08-05-2014 08:32 AM

National Sewing Machine Co. sold a lot of machines up until they were merged with Free, White et al. early '50's. But a machine labeled "National" from mid to late 60's would most likely be one of the msny machines made in Japan or Taiwan. We'd need a picture to see what is being talked about. OTOH a dealer may have sold her an model National but for that much money it seems doubtful.

Macybaby 08-05-2014 09:19 AM

Like Jim says - if it was new in 1969, then "national" is just the name that got put on the front - and if it's an older National made machine, then a picture is needed as some (like the Two Spool) are worth something, and others aren't worth much more than their value as scrap metal.

oldsewnsew 08-05-2014 09:26 AM

oh no Cathy!!! are you saying my garage/house are just full of SCRAP METAL!? BWAAAH SAY IT AIN'T SEW!!

Macybaby 08-05-2014 09:42 AM

Jim - you know that BOTH of us own some machines that aren't really worth more than the price of scrap - but they still are fun to own LOL!!!

In fact, if they were worth more, we couldn't afford to buy them in the first place!

quilt1950 08-05-2014 12:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures, as requested

Sorry you have to stand on your head to see them. How do I fix that?

SteveH 08-05-2014 12:09 PM

it says on that Plate Necchi - National. Necchi is an Italian manufacturer of good solid machines

oldsewnsew 08-05-2014 02:19 PM

but i bet it's Japanese or Taiwanese

J Miller 08-05-2014 03:15 PM

It definitely looks Japanese. But that does not mean it's a bad machine or worthless. It just means it's a newer machine.

(Moderators = not selling anything, just making a comment.)

I've sold machines very similar to that for $35.00 to $45.00 dollars on CL here in Springfield, and cabinet machines are not supposed to sell good.

Joe

oldsewnsew 08-05-2014 09:23 PM

Oh I'm not downplaying the quality of these machines, it's just ordinarily their value isn't as high as if it was Made in Switzerland, or Sweden or...