Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Ambassador 100 Deluxe Feet -- Help a Noob! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/ambassador-100-deluxe-feet-help-noob-t250771.html)

Feyala 07-25-2014 07:23 PM

Ambassador 100 Deluxe Feet -- Help a Noob!

Hi everybody! I'm new here! I don't really do quilting anymore but I do other fiber arts, currently costumes.

I joined up because I've got this old blue Ambassador Deluxe 100 (almost exactly like this black one, which is how I found this place) that I got from a friend. I've read around a little bit and even followed that awesome sticky's advice and cleaned all the cruft out of it, which is pretty cool because I know almost nothing about sewing machines, and haven't used one since I was a kid.

I've got some projects I need done within the week and I'm hoping to avoid hand-sewing them all. Machine runs, sounds pretty good, but there's just one problem! It didn't come with a foot! It just has the shaft with a small screw where the foot should be. I'm going to be sewing faux fur, so I definitely need the foot to help me keep tension and avoid puckering. (At least, as far as I know)

My friend gave me some different style feet that go to, I think, newer machines, but I have no way to bolt these on. They have two little rectangular bits at the base where I guess they are supposed to clip in or something. What should I do? Is there some kind of adapter I can get or make for cheap that will enable me to use these feet with this machine? Am I missing a sort of "ankle" part that it's supposed to have come with originally? Is there a magic trick I can use to not need the foot at all in a pinch here?

I appreciate any advice you all can give me! I haven't been able to find much information about these machines anywhere else. :)

J Miller 07-25-2014 07:44 PM

Feyala,

Welcome to the QB.

You machine takes the standard low shank feet and accessories. You can still get them most anywhere.

Most of the newer machines use a quick detachable foot system like those your friend gave you. To use them you need an adapter.

Regular low shank feet and the adapter for the newer style are available from Sew-Classic.
{ http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Low-Shank-Feet_c5.htm }
This is the foot your machine would have come with when new:
{ http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Low-...5321-45321.htm }.

Sew-Classic is a great company to do business with and they ship quickly.

Joe

Feyala 07-25-2014 08:12 PM

Thanks for the speedy reply Joe! I really appreciate the info, especially the terminology! Now I know what to look for! :D

There sure are a lot of low-shank feet! What are the benefits of low shank vs detachable with an adapter? I've been told to look for zigzag and possibly a walking foot to feed the material evenly. Is there anything in particular I should beware of/avoid when buying those feet for this machine? I don't have a lot of wiggle room for trial and error financially.

I'll probably call around to some local stores to avoid shipping delays, but that website looks great if I can't find it or need something in the future!

Rodney 07-25-2014 08:42 PM

Looks like Joe has got you covered. If you're interested in more info about your type of machine in general it's what is known as a 15 clone. After WWII Japan started producing sewing machines based on (nearly identical to) the Singer model 15. Your machine is one of them. If you need or want a manual, a Singer model 15 manual is available as a free download from Singerco.com and will be close enough to work.
I don't know that there is much advantage of one style of foot over the other.
Rodney

Rodney 07-25-2014 08:44 PM

I forgot to add. Your machine is straight stitch only but there are separate zigzag and buttonhole attachments available for it.
Rodney

Feyala 07-25-2014 08:45 PM

Thanks Rodney! I'd had a lot of difficulty finding any information, and I'm going to need some kind of guidance when it comes to threading it and setting the tension correctly, so that manual will be very helpful!

J Miller 07-26-2014 06:37 AM

Some ZZ ( zigzag ) feet will not work properly with your machine. They do not mesh right with the feed dogs. Others are OK. Off hand I can't say which is which because I normally don't use ZZ feet on SS (straight stitch ) machines.
I do use the 1/4" SS foot with the guide for quilt piecing, and occasionally a generic ZZ walking foot. It works so I'm not questioning it. And any number of other feet made for SS machines.
About the only things I haven't been able to use are the hemmers. Those darn things confound me no end. I got a bunch of them too.

I prefer the solid mount original style feet and attachments. The snap on / snap off type are OK unless you bump the release lever then the foot falls off the adapter and you got to put it back on. Just a little nuisance thing I don't like.
I suppose if you learn to keep your fingers away from the lever they'd be OK.
There are scads of different feet available for the snap on design, but most of them are for ZZ machines. How they'd work on a SS machine I do not know.
Seriously I wouldn't waste my money on a snap on foot adapter.

Joe

Feyala 07-27-2014 10:32 AM

Thanks for the advice! I'll stick with the low shank feet then. :) You guys are great!

Caroline S 07-28-2014 08:00 PM

It is nice to hear that my Ambassador 100 has a twin, even though it is blue. Sure would like to see a picture of yours.

Feyala 07-28-2014 11:00 PM

I'm going to be out of town through the weekend but when I come back I'll see what I can do! It's got a few dings but it's still pretty classy. :)