Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Another Addition To My Growing Sewing Machine Addiction (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/another-addition-my-growing-sewing-machine-addiction-t252393.html)

Blackberry 08-24-2014 06:30 AM

Another Addition To My Growing Sewing Machine Addiction

5 Attachment(s)
Here is a beautiful Brown & Tan White Sewing Machine, Model 764, that I got at an estate sale for $45. The original price they had on it was $150 which, of course, was way out of line. There is a manual but no accessories. I believe this machine uses a short shank accessory so I should not have any trouble picking up a few. I also think it is a left homing needle which I am not too fond of but do manage to work with it. These pictures are before I have cleaned and oiled it but as you can see it looks to be in very good condition and barely used. It hums right along but will benefit with a good oiling. There is a sticker on the back of the machine that read 239.00. I don't know if that was the original price or not but the machine was originally purchased in April, 1988 so I am fairly sure it has all metal parts. This is the first machine that I have seen where the handle was molded into the machine.

calla 08-24-2014 06:35 AM

Looks new, what a find

wilburness 08-24-2014 06:35 AM

Really Really COOL. enjoy

sewbizgirl 08-24-2014 06:44 AM

This machine is older than 1988... I'd place it at around 1958-1960, just from the looks of it. The manual has "New York World's Fair" on it... NY had a World's Fair in 1939 and again in 1964. Look and see if you can find a copyright date in the manual.

The machine looks MINT and is VERY COOL! What a find.

pocoellie 08-24-2014 07:03 AM

What a great looking machine.

Mariposa 08-24-2014 07:05 AM

Fun machine! Happy stitching!

Stitchnripper 08-24-2014 07:09 AM

Nice looking machine. Great find. Enjoy

Rodney 08-24-2014 08:25 AM

Neat looking machine! I agree it's older than 1988. Oldsewandsew(Jim) had one of those machines as his avatar for a while. Maybe he'll chime in with some more info.
The foot looks like typical short shank to me too. I think that once White started having their machines made in Japan sometime in the late 40s or early 50s they went with short shank feet like pretty much everyone else instead of continuing to use their original top clamp setup. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Standardization makes it easier to find parts and accessories that fit but you also lose some individuality and creativity if you just do what everyone else is doing.
Rodney

Cari-in-Oly 08-24-2014 04:39 PM

Nice find. The 764 is a highly sought after machine by some collectors. I've read many conversations about it on one of my Yahoo groups.

Cari

ppquilter 08-25-2014 04:26 PM

I likee them old machines, very addicted to collecting!