Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Another Basement Find ... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/another-basement-find-t208584.html)

Muv 12-16-2012 09:07 PM

Hello Patrice - You are now in serious danger of being converted to vintage machines.

The floppy lever will be to do with the spring on the presser bar. Get the screw driver out, take off the face plate, and look inside. I can't imagine the spring has disappeared, but it might be stuck with ancient residue from oil that has accumulated there.

I can recommend some cleaning videos...

Good luck!

bearisgray 12-16-2012 09:15 PM

Those fancy decals sure made the machines prettier.

patricej 12-17-2012 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5723983)
Patrice,

An electrified 66-1. I'll bet that old machine started out it's life in a treadle cabinet.

That's what I thought, too, when i compared the light and motor to the machine itself.
The plate the light hangs from is very plain. Most of the machines I've seen like mine have decorative plates on the back. The sticker on the motor seems comparatively "modern", too.

If that's the case, and if I decide to try getting it to work again, I would prefer to put it back to treadle.
Hunting down a belt should be possible. The only remaining mechanical issue would probably be the dis-engaged lever for the foot. I did look inside but couldn't see where it's supposed to connect, or how. The screws inside are rusted. I don't have the muscle power to loosen them. I tried WD-40. Is Liquid Wrench better than WD-40? or do you advise something else?

Unfortunately, I have no space anywhere for a treadle cabinet.
For now - once I have it spiffed up - it will have to be displayed on a shelf.

Wintersewer 12-17-2012 03:59 AM

Be careful with this, I'm sure it's to be used on wood, not a machine.

Originally Posted by MimiBug123 (Post 5723825)
Glenn had a tutorial on here just the other day on how to clean these up using denatured alcohol, linseed oil and shellac. Check in the tutes. Nice machine, btw. I love the red eyes!

Muv 12-17-2012 04:33 AM

Hello Patrice - Why don't you take a picture of the inside behind the faceplate so we can see what's going on?

Caroline S 12-17-2012 07:34 AM

OK Patrice. What else is hiding in your basement??? If this were my machine I would remove the motor and light. You can find instructions to make a display box for your Red Eye on the link below. Are you REALLY sure you have no room for a treadle cabinet?

http://www.treadleon.net/woodshop/index.html

patricej 12-17-2012 08:17 AM

Not my basement. My father's.
So far I've scored the two sewing machines and a 30+ year old kitchenaide mixer - which still works.

I have already removed the motor and light. I need to hunt down one of the nice plates to cover the hole in the back of the machine.

I live in a divided shoebox with doors and windows. No place for additional furniture of any kind, really.
there's barely room for me. LOL

Skyangel 12-17-2012 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ (Post 5723805)
I discovered by accident that the hazy stuff (varnish? shellac?) comes off.
the black paint underneath is in decent condition. is there anything i can safely use to remove the rest of it without damaging the decals?

I would clean them with sewing machine oil on a cotton ball ... won't damage the decals. Thats all I used on my 1886 Singer Improved Family.

deplaylady 12-17-2012 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ (Post 5725324)
Not my basement. My father's.
So far I've scored the two sewing machines and a 30+ year old kitchenaide mixer - which still works.

I have already removed the motor and light. I need to hunt down one of the nice plates to cover the hole in the back of the machine.

I live in a divided shoebox with doors and windows. No place for additional furniture of any kind, really.
there's barely room for me. LOL

There's always room for a hand crank! Looks pretty and sews nice, too.

callen 12-18-2012 05:48 AM

Lucky you !! A Red Eye is my dream machine. I have 2 chances of finding one here, slim & none but I can hope !!!