Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Another empty handed day - the pickins are slim :( (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/another-empty-handed-day-pickins-slim-t227176.html)

Sideways 08-04-2013 07:18 PM

Thanks Dan - that is excellent advice. I have to learn to be patient, lol.

nanna-up-north 08-05-2013 05:47 AM

Where I live in the summer, older people (like me) buy a cabin, set it up to enjoy it during their retirement and then die. Their kids come up to clean up all the stuff and get rid of it. Sometimes it's in the goodwill shops or they have an auction. Younger kids don't want those old machines. They want new shiny machines with gizmos. So, I've gotten a few, have passed up many more than I should have, and keep looking for the specific ones I want. I'm pretty patient, looking for one that won't need too much to get it up and running. I'm hoping things don't change. I would hate to be in a place where I couldn't find any older machines. Besides quilting, it's my passion.

nwm50 08-05-2013 09:10 AM

A few weeks ago I went to an Pound store run by Goodwill where everything is weighed per lb as to what it is (glasses-clothes-shoes & etc) where I happened to look up on top shelf an very dirty 301a machine with plugs still for $3. Took it home and cleaned it up thoroughly and to my happiness performs well! wow , now that made my week !

Macybaby 08-05-2013 09:26 AM

Carol- there are two styles of "white" FW - the older style is identical to the black in style and comes in the same black box. The cord and pedal are often white. The newer white ones have several differences and my husband said the older style are a better made machine (he's worked on both). The new comes in the green case, and has the Red S on the front, and comes with a black cord and foot pedal - late 60's come with the newer style foot pedal too. I've stumbled upon TWO white featherweights in green cases this year - both at antique shops where the seller should have known better. Paid $150 for one and $75 for the second. I am getting to the point I've got to start saying "no" more often. I'm after attachments now - and other neat sewing accessories. Though I'd grab another white FW for prices like that - can always pass them along!

Sideways 08-05-2013 11:02 AM

Nwm that was an awesome find!!! Good for you!!

Macybaby thanks for that information on the two styles of feather weights. I love information like that!

Nanna I am with you I'm glad people do not want those old machines!!

girliegirl 08-06-2013 06:05 AM

oh nooooooooo .... you and I have to go picking up the line! I am telling you... we can pack and lunch and head up to jim thorpe and into coaldale!

girliegirl 08-06-2013 06:12 AM

nothing like feeding the mailman so he won't tell the neighbors that you're the looney one down the street! Thanks for the tip girl!

Originally Posted by Macybaby (Post 6212561)
We had a bust day yesterday - except that I finally got to this one quilt shop I'd heard about. Owner is a retired lady and it's hit or miss when she's open.

It's called something like "Quilter's Exchange" and she buys people's stashes by the pound, and resells them at $3 a yard. She's willing to cut no matter what you want, and is very generous. She and DH spent an hour swapping stories while I looked through what was on the shelves. Broke my promise (again) to NOT buy more for my stash and only buy for projects . . . but who can resist $3 a yard quality cotton fabric!

Now I"m waiting for the mail to show up - got some attachments and a knee lever that should be showing up today! Buying on eBay is like having birthdays all the time- presents just come right to the door!

Our mail man thinks I'm a bit off, but he likes the cookies and home pickled veggies I give him so all is good.

Sideways 08-06-2013 12:28 PM

Shirley are there good pickins up there?? Lol