Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Another road trip in the works (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/another-road-trip-works-t243647.html)

amcatanzaro 03-22-2014 08:09 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss Cathy. :(

oldsewnsew 03-22-2014 08:51 PM

Yes, Cathy, sorry for your loss...:sew:

amyjo 03-22-2014 08:56 PM

I am sorry to hear about your Mom passing, but it sounds like you did all you could and she had a good life.

Rodney 03-22-2014 11:16 PM

I'm very sorry for your loss.
Rodney

wilburness 03-23-2014 04:38 AM

Soo sorry Cathy for your loss. happy you got the quilt done for her caregiver. makes me feel sad and glad at the same time.
karen

NapaJohn 03-23-2014 06:44 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss.

John

mtpockets1 03-23-2014 12:23 PM

I am so sorry for your loss also. No matter if we know the end is near or not, it is hard to loose someone we love. I will remember you and your family in our prayers.

Lisa

KLO 03-23-2014 12:56 PM

Cathy, There is something about losing one's Mom especially for a daughter, I think, especially if you are/were close. I still want to call mine now and then just to talk and she has been gone for almost 23 years now. I am sorry to hear that you just lost yours. Take the time you need to mourn and then start remembering the fun things about her so you can laugh and tell stories. It takes time but time takes time.

oldtnquiltinglady 03-23-2014 12:58 PM

Cathy, I know this is a very sad thing for you, but you seem in good spirits in spite of it. This was an interesting/however sad entry to our board.

Macybaby 03-23-2014 03:23 PM

We're home now - a very long weekend.

It may seem "hard hearted" that I went and picked up sewing machines after learning my mother passed. With Parkinson's, dementia and a stroke (three years ago) she's been "going" for a long time. On Friday, the Hospice Nurse expected it would be less than a week, but not less than one day.

My father passed away a year ago in November, while I was in GA. He went so fast taht I didn't have time to make it home. My father also died at home, with Hospice. He was "expected" to last a month or two, but he had other plans and was gone in a few days.

A lot of my sewing machine collecting started after that - wanting to find a Singer like I learned to sew on. And as you all understand, I became addicted to the machines. I made a commitment to visit my Mom once a month if possible, and those 5 hour one way trips turned into sewing machine collection trips. I've met so many wonderful people, many selling family machines, and shared a lot of tears talking about loosing parent. About half of my machines have stories behind them, and I know many sellers were comforted knowing Mom or Grandma's machine was going to someone that understood more about the machine than they did, and would work to preserve it for the future. And a few of the "newer" ones were bought from the owners, now wheelchair bound. On 66 I picked up at a assisted living facility, and talked with the husband, while the wife sat in the wheelchair only able to smile as she shared my enthusiasm for her machine and cabinet.

I've only managed to talk one person into keeping their family machine, and I wish more would, however if they aren't going to, I'm glad I'm giving them a home where they'll be sewing machines, and not lawn ornaments, or plant stands.

I feel like my world has fundamentally changed in some way - My parents and soon my family home will be gone, but my sewing machines that have helped me get through this all are still with me, and very much a legacy from my parents.